Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New Fish for New Aquarium!!

So I finally got my tank up and running and fully cycled, and I have my first round of fish in there. It's a 60 gallon tank with a new and improved wet/dry filter. Right now I have 2 ocerllaris clownfish (I wanted to start slowly, make sure everything was working properly). They're doing fine and all the levels have been right for about 2 weeks now.

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on which fish or how many to add. Also, when should I add another round. I want to keep it a community tank, so peaceful fish are best. Also, since the tank it relatively newer, and I'm a newb, I should only be looking at fish that are easy to care for.

So here's the big question. Anyone have any fish they've had, or have heard that are perfect for a newer tank? I've seen recommendations for firefish, coral beauties, and a few blennies, but is there anything else (preferably with nice colors) that anyone reccomends?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was in the same boat as you were just a few months ago.We started with 2 clown fish.Then we added a Damsel but they seem kinda aggressive so i'd be careful with that breed of fish.Blue Hippo Tangs do well in the clown fish,Gobies..any peaceful tempered fish should be good.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love wrasses!! Most of them keep to themselves even though it'll say semi-aggressive. Royal grammas, candy hogfish, firefish, and anthias are all good choices too. I'm not sure about tangs in a 60g - it might get alittle stressful in there

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. Now I was looking at chromis, apparently they're easy to keep and school which would be awesome. Now if I went that route, how many should I get. And if I did that , should I add any others? Like I said, this is a newer tank, so I don't wanna overload the biological filter.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by protokix22 View Post
Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. Now I was looking at chromis, apparently they're easy to keep and school which would be awesome. Now if I went that route, how many should I get. And if I did that , should I add any others? Like I said, this is a newer tank, so I don't wanna overload the biological filter.
I heard here somewhere that it is best to have an odd amount.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4wheels2 View Post
I love wrasses!! Most of them keep to themselves even though it'll say semi-aggressive. Royal grammas, candy hogfish, firefish, and anthias are all good choices too. I'm not sure about tangs in a 60g - it might get alittle stressful in there
agreed. no tangs
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, so right know I'm leaning towards getting 3 Blue/Green Chromis. I saw somewhere they get agressive towards eachother (much like damsels). I've read a few different places that they usually end up picking eachother off until there is one left. Is there any truth to this?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Look at cardinal fish. Also school but kinda hang and don't swim a lot. Scissor tail gobies will swim a bit more and also school. Chromis don't seem to last long in my opinion. At least, 3 can become 2 or 1 for no apparent reason.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, well here's another option. Do you think a royal gramma, and two firefish would be a good addition. I'm thinking of keeping it to three fish max, so I don't overload the filter. Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

That could work, but you will have to add those firefish at the same time, otherwise they'll fight.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com