new fowlr tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone....
Setup a tank about 3 weeks ago, have a couple damsels, a 6 line, 2 scarlet reef crabs, 10 nass snails, 4 turbos, and a chocolate star fish.

Seems no matter what i do i cant get rid of the diatoms on the sand bed, i went to my lfs and the guy there said im leaving my lights on for to long (9 hours) and suggested 4-6 hours instead. Does this sound right? And no moon lights at night.
SPECS
100 gal w/20 gal sump
110 lbs live rock
70 lbs live sand
3100 return
Reef octopus 125 skimmer
2 1050 gal power heads
4 54 watt t5ho
Temp is stable at 78.6
Ammonia 0.15
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.3
Cal 180
P04 2
Also used prime and quick start from day one and with water changes.

I'd be more worried about that ammonia reading. It should go away once your tank cycles.

How long have you had your tank going? It can take several weeks for diatoms to go away in a new tank.

The tank has been up for 3 weeks and have only done 1 pwc maybe 10 gals, just from the vacuumed water.

Did you even cycle the tank? Your adding fish a little quick, and shouldn't have any ammonia or nitrites. Ever. Your fish and inverts will most likely all die so I would strongly recommend having the lfs hold them until you cycle your tank.

The damsels will most likely make it through a cycle that's why there the "go to" fish for fish in cycling being they are so hardy but imo i consider damsels a pest in any tank since it seems all they do is fight and for their size they are a formidable opponent for most fish lol

I would still return all of them. If you leave the damsels in they will pester any new tank mates.

Thank you all for the advice. Ill keep you updated

Back
Top Bottom