New live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I was reading the bargain hunter last night when I came across someone selling live rock. It was 50% cheaper than at the lfs, this guy runs a small marine livestock shop from his home. He has a nice variety of fish and corals and invertebrates. I bought 5 pounds of l/r. It still had a tiny bit of smell to it, but not a bad smell, more like an ocean smell. It was harvested from the carribean and he had it curing for a couple of weeks. It looks really good with a lot of critters on it and a nice coraline starting growth. I just want to make sure I did the right thing. I have been told that once the l/r is cured you can add it to your tank, well that is what I did, I added it to the existing 5 pounds of l/r in my tank and so far so good. So now I have 10 pounds of l/r in my 15 gallon tank. Since the rock is cured, will I be getting an ammonia spike? Should I have put it in a bit at a time even though it was only 5 pounds?(there really wasn't that much to add).

Congrats! if it's got an ocean smell then your there. add another 5 lbs min and you'll be ok. Are you running a nano? or is the 15 gallon just a foot in the door of marine keeping? :p

I stocked my whole tank with putting in a few pounds of LR at a time.. Never saw an ammonia spike...Sounds really cool :D ...I wish I had someone local that did that. :(

Well, nano??

Well, I started out brackish, then went marine and slowly built up the rock, so now my lfs says that I have a well rounded nano reef. Its pretty cool, all sorts of critters growing off the rock. This one thing in particular is a mound of stuff that looks like flesh, its the same consistency of flesh but a tan white colour. all sorts of marble size coraline algae balls too. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Back
Top Bottom