Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say its a 50/50 chance... Fish that arent fed are more agressive in my opinon... Also i agree that it is very possible for some snails and crabs to be eaten....Tangs should be fine if your tank is mature with algae, they will feed off of that as said...humus are very agressive i would consider getting rid of him for a different fish...They also create a lot of bio load.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

well I got all the fish from previous owner and he says that they've been living fine for years... as for my clownfishes.. the humu has never bothered it, but it the guy said the sailfin tang is kinda having some problems with him.. also you guys say my yellow tangs are herbivores?.. I fed it brine shrimp and squid mix and they ate 'em crazy... well I guess I'll try to sell one of my yellow tang... btw I think they're all fully grown. I like the humu better so I think I will keep that.. also, before I left... one hermit already died and my starfish likes to eat snails for some reason.. so I guess nycfatcow is right.

ty again

Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
well I got all the fish from previous owner and he says that they've been living fine for years... as for my clownfishes.. the humu has never bothered it, but it the guy said the sailfin tang is kinda having some problems with him.. also you guys say my yellow tangs are herbivores?.. I fed it brine shrimp and squid mix and they ate 'em crazy... well I guess I'll try to sell one of my yellow tang... btw I think they're all fully grown. I like the humu better so I think I will keep that.. also, before I left... one hermit already died and my starfish likes to eat snails for some reason.. so I guess nycfatcow is right.

ty again
What size tank did the previous owner have? Because if it's anything less than a 150 I wouldn't entirely trust their opinion. And if it is something above a 150, fish are going to act very differently when scaled down to a small tank like a 75 g.

Triggerfish can be relatively peaceful then one day they'll snap and turn into these serial killing monsters they have the reputation of being. Mine was very peaceful until he killed two fish one night and we had to find a new home for him. There are countless other similar stories with triggerfish. They are also pretty active swimmers and need more room than a 75 g can provide.

Yellow tangs are herbivores. That doesn't mean they won't eat brine shrimp, mysis, other meaty foods - but they don't get the nutrition they need from those foods as they do from herbivore preparations so the vast majority of their diet needs to be food for herbivores. Not to mention even LiveAquaria which tends to underestimate tank sizes says a yellow tang needs at least 100 gallon. The sailfin needs 125g according to LiveAquaria.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

previous owner had 75g tank... and he had this for about couple of years now.. I guess I will check it out for a week or two if things can work out or not... also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?.. I dont think I'll get it until I get all my new fishes setlled but it would be nice of things I can and cant get... my lighting system is coralife halide w/ 4 1watt lunar & 2150w blue actinic.

thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?..
I'm no expert on triggers, but I don't think any corals will be safe with it in there. They are never listed as "reef compatible".
Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
previous owner had 75g tank... and he had this for about couple of years now.. I guess I will check it out for a week or two if things can work out or not... also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?.. I dont think I'll get it until I get all my new fishes setlled but it would be nice of things I can and cant get... my lighting system is coralife halide w/ 4 1watt lunar & 2150w blue actinic.

thanks
Unfortunately with a trigger your coral selection is limited to nothing. If he does not flat out eat the coral, he will pick at it. They are curious animals and like to pick at things. All inverts are also an extreme risk. I haven't found a single thing my Picasso wouldn't eat including what people on forums have told me are the safest for aggressive tanks, including all types of urchins, cowry snails, Mexican turbo snails, extra large hermit crabs, you name it he has killed it. And again, he was only 2-3" big LOL.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok.. guess gotta get rid of my big fishies... ima let go of 2 yellow tangs, 1 humu trigger, & 1 sailfin tang.. ima keep the clowns... then can I maybe get a list of what fish are reef safe and what type of corals i can get.. :P lol
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
... then can I maybe get a list of what fish are reef safe and what type of corals i can get.. :P lol
Well... with your lighting, in theory, you could probably get just about any coral you wanted. However I wouldn't run out and start on the "expert only" corals, or corals that want pristine water conditions. There's a good database here...

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=home

... for both fish and corals. LiveAquaria.com also has a good listing in their fish section as what's reef safe and what's not.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

here's some pics of my tank with lunar lights on... some has flashes so it looks like its daylight... I tried getting a clear shot so I just put all of it up

I know it looks bad & messy right now but I'm currently still looking to geta sump to get that clean cut
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thats a small tank.

I really wouldnt mind getting some updated lighting ill have tyo get pics up soon of my tank. I really cant complain it was free. its big and well. only 5, $3.99 fish have died since i had it.

Blue devil Damsel
Zebra turbo Snail
6 Little crabs
Some feather dusters
1 Clownfish
1 emerald Crab
1 Choco taco Starfish
And a stupid little Molly
saltybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com