New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvosburgh82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 29 gallon tank that's about 5 months old. Only two fish, a clown and a yellowtail damsel, my clean up crew snails, hermits, three peppermint shrimp and one cleaner and about 25 lbs of live rock. Here's my dilemma: I've just been offered a great deal on a 75 gallon with beautiful cherry stand. I'd like to buy it, but I'd won't to put it where my 29 gal is. How would I transfer the current tank residents to the new tank? I'd obviously have to cycle the new tank. Could I transfer my water and everything to the new tank and then add another 40 gallons of new water. Would be similar to a 50% water change. Any suggestions would help. Thanks! Oh and I was thinking about using the old tank and a Refugium.

I'm sure there are many ways to do it, but I would move the 29 gal to a different location (after removing the live rock and as much of the water as you can without exposing your fish to air) so you can place the 75 gal where you want it (pain in the butt I know, but you said you wanted the 75 in the spot the 29 was occupying). Put the water you emptied out of the 29 back into the 29. Fill the 75 Gal tank with new water and put your live rock in it. The live rock will cycle the tank. Since you are increasing to 75, you're going to need another 50 lbs or so of live rock. I have heard that you can mix live rock with dry to save some dough and minimize the risk of unwanted hitchhikers. Once cycled, add the fish. Your also going to need a lot more sand. Avoid the gimmicky "live" sand.

Back
Top Bottom