New tank...cloudy water on day 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsigler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey gang...

I just set up a new 30 tank. It's my first saltwater tank. Got the sand in, salt mixed in the water, and first water test was good. (according to pet shop guy)

However, the water is cloudy. It's been cloudy for about 5 days. I know the sand being stirred up can cause this in a new tank, but is 5 days normal?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

sunds like your filter is too small.when i set up a new tanl it only takes a day

The filter is rated for a 50 gallon tank. Is that too small? Thanks for the response!

Rob

If you didn't rinse the sand that might be your problem. It could take a few days for everything to settle down. Is it better than it was when you first put it in?

How do you plan on cycling the tank? Pure ammonia or a dead shrimp?

First water test... What did he test
For? How are you cycling the tank

Ya...I didn't rinse the sand. (boo, I know)

Well, following the advice of my local fish store guy, after four days I added 3 yellow tail damsels. After reading countless threads on this site, I know that was the wrong thing to do.

The fish are doing well, but water is still slightly cloudy.

Any advice?

Rob

Take the fish back,you need liquid test kits and daily 10% water changes to try to help the fish survive,if you didn't rinse the sand i think it should have settled down by now unless your filter is blocked and blowing it back in,could be a bacteria bloom but I think its too early for that,

Back
Top Bottom