Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturolls
the tank is 6' (long) * 2' (deep) * 2.5' (height).
That's 72" long x 24" wide x 29" tall which equals about 216gal according to the calculator at fantasyreef.

So to setup a basic SW tank is going to require about 300lbs. of rock for filtration... more would be better considering the gravel substrate.
If you were to buy all live rock it would end up costing a minimum of around $1000 from a discount seller on ebay with free shipping.
You could get off a little cheaper by using half dry base rock and half live rock.
The live rock will eventually culture the base rock turning it into "live" rock also.
If you live someplace like Florida you can find some wonderful pieces of coral bedrock (base rock) for free at local construction sites.

I would really consider removing the gravel and replacing it with about 3"-5" of marine or reef sand (aragonite, not silica).
The gravel will collect lots of crap that will rot and create water pollution, and will have to be vacuumed regularly... not fun.
The sand will also act as a natural filter in addition to the live rock making your tank more self-sufficient and stable.
As a bonus, having sand will not only allow you to keep a wider variety of fish and inverts, but it also looks prettier IMO.

I think the main thing is not to get overwhelmed and just take it very slow at this point.
Start scouting out good deals on live rock and base rock at your local fish stores, ebay, and in your classifieds.
Go little bit by little bit and you will have one beautiful and fascinating aquarium in time.

I'm soooooo jealous!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m reading 2 1/2 feet which is 30 inches for the height unless I`m reading wrong.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
I`m reading 2 1/2 feet which is 30 inches for the height unless I`m reading wrong.
I'm sorry, you're right. I see now that it's two and a half feet, which makes about 225gal. like you said.
I'm an old carpenter so when I saw that I immediately read it as 2'-5" instead of 2.5', my bad.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No problem. Whatever it is it`s a big tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Congrats on the new house and the tank! A SW tank can be one of the most rewarding things to create and become a great conversation piece for guests. That said, they do require a fair amount of work, especially in the beginning, so researching beforehand is a great step. If you are brand new to home aquariums a nice option is to find a knowledgable and reputable LFS to help you with the initial set-up, livestock selection and beginning maintanance. Once you become more comfortable you can take the reins.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow... I'm jealous!

While folks have hinted around at it, if you want to go saltwater with that tank I hope you didn't spend all your cash on the down payment for the house! If you're looking at doing your biological filtration using live rock, as loyalrogue mentioned, the $1000 he threw out was a bare minimum price if all the planets aligned, the phase of the moon was just right, blah blah blah. If you bought that much rock at a LFS, you'd be looking at $1500-1800 minimum.

I'm not trying to scare you away or anything. That'd be one cool saltwater tank. It's just that the "stuff" that came with it is pretty worthless. That biowheel... unless the hand holding it is that of a giant... is only rated for about a 20 gallon tank or so! And even if that one heater mounted in the corner IS working, I think a single heater located where it's at is going to have a problem keeping that tank warm no matter what the wattage.

Is the room that tank is located in heated? Looks like it's an unfinished room, and there's no insulation so I'm assuming the heat from the house can get back there. But if not, you should consider keeping that room heated once you get the aquarium going. That's where most of your heat loss is going to go, so if that room stays at 60 degrees or something, you're really going to be giving your tank heaters a workout and will have to be sized accordingly.

If I was you, I'd drain the tank and give it a good cleaning. You have no idea what may have gone into that tank (cleaning solutions, copper medications, etc) and if you're going to make a go of it, you should start from scratch knowing what you're putting in it to start with. With that big of a tank and that much money going into it , I wouldn't risk anything. As you're cleaning it, I'd probably also paint the back and sides of the tank (on the outside!) so you can't see through the tank and into that extra room (storage?). Just a personal preference, but something to think about.

Before you even set foot in a fish store or buy a single bit of equipment, I'd go out and buy "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Palleta. Read it cover to cover. After that, pick up Bob Fenner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and skim through that. Palleta's book is a good intro with tons of good info, and Fenner's book is a bit more detailed and better to read 2nd once you're starting to get the idea.

You'll find tons of conflicting information, but just think things through and decide for yourself what you want to do. Understand why people hold the opinions they do, and be your own judge. Just like any hobby, you'll find as many different ways of doing things, or as many different "right" ways, as you have people.

Have fun, and start reading!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
It's just that the "stuff" that came with it is pretty worthless.
I agree. If I was you I would consider LR and a skimmer for all your biological filtration needs. As Kurt said it is going to be rough on the price so to help out I would consider much of it being Base rock which is much cheaper. You can fill in the rest with LR which will seed the dead rock. In time all of it will become live and teeming with nitrifying bacteria. I also agree that the two books that Kurt gave you are excellent reading. Just remember in this hobby that patience is a virtue.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I appreciate all of the responses! I have been away from the site for a few days and have just caught up on the reading. It seems to me that most of you think I am converting this to a SW tank when in fact it was already a SW tank. I just wanted to set the record str8 on that issue if it makes a diff in your opinons.

I reworked the measurements and plugged them into the online calculator and got 125 gal. Like you said either way it is massive.

The room the tank is in is heated and semi-finished. Actually the furnace is in that room! I do have a back drop piece of teflon or something to shield the reverse view.

I will definately get some good books to read per your suggestions as well as seek out the advice from our LFS.

Thanks again to all your posts! It really helps a newbie like me.....

J

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com