Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Something could still be producing nitrates. On your next water change, make sure to siphon up any debris on the bottom or on the rock, and rinse out your filter with the old water. You want to remove any gunk that may be breaking down into nitrates.

What brand of salt do you use? Have you tried testing your mixed salt water? Are you letting the new water mix overnight before use?

If your replacement water is reading 0, try mixing 1 part tank water with 9 parts new water, and taking another reading. The resulting read should be 1/10th of your tank parameter. Just a little trick for measuring above the top end of a test kit.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
PWCs are important. It will replenish the nutrients n the water. That might be the reason your feather duster is suffering (not sure what they eat).
I am also not too sure how different the charts on the test kits are between FW ans SW...Are you using a FW test for your SW tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe the AP kit comes with two color cards, one for fresh and one for salt. Not sure about other brands of kits.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

AP, as in Aquarium Pharmceuticals? If so, they have two different kits. One is a SW kit and the other is the FW kit. I have the SW kit and it only has the SW cards, FW might be different.....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
AP, as in Aquarium Pharmceuticals? If so, they have two different kits. One is a SW kit and the other is the FW kit. I have the SW kit and it only has the SW cards, FW might be different.....
Sorry. I'll have to look again when I get home. Most of my AP freshwater kits have a secondary color card for saltwater, could be that one is an exception.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tshere
It is a saltwater test kit. No, I don't let the water sit overnight and when do I add salt? Do I add it each time I do a pwc?

I used Instant Ocean.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Instant Ocean is good stuff, shouldn't be getting any nitrates in that way.

Correct method of water change:
Mix up satwater in a spare container. Use a hydrometer (correct for temperature) or even better a refractometer to measure the salinity of the water. Leave an air stone or a powerhead in the water overnight. Remove water from aquarium, use for washing filters, etc, and dispose. Use aged saltwater, but don't pour out the last bit in the bottom. Solids may have precipitated out into the bottom of the bucket, these solids should be disposed of.

Kit might be mis-reading your tap water if it's designed for salt. Can you find the website of your city/county water authority? Many of them have the water quality report online.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshere
No, I don't let the water sit overnight and when do I add salt? Do I add it each time I do a pwc?
I'm confused by your comment and I don't want to assume you meant something else by this, so I'll ask a dumb question...

When you say you're doing a PWC, you aren't doing it with plain water (meaning without any salt mix)... are you?

Also... maybe I missed it in the post somewhere, but have you tested for ammonia also? Are the nitrAtes the only high thing?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #49
AA Team Emeritus

I set up my PWCs this way:
1. Add water/salt/ph/heater-Friday night
2. Let set/check salinity/temp
3. Either Sat night or sometime on Sunday I change out old water
4. Clean filter (in old SW)
5. Add new water to tank, feed the fish....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tshere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshere
No, I don't let the water sit overnight and when do I add salt? Do I add it each time I do a pwc?
I'm confused by your comment and I don't want to assume you meant something else by this, so I'll ask a dumb question...

When you say you're doing a PWC, you aren't doing it with plain water (meaning without any salt mix)... are you?

Also... maybe I missed it in the post somewhere, but have you tested for ammonia also? Are the nitrAtes the only high thing?
The ammonia is fine. Nitrates are the only high thing.

I just add dechlorinator when I add water. That's what the guy at the fish store told me to do. He said that the salt will stay in the bottom. Well, I checked the salinity of the water today and it was low. I took water out and added salt to water and mixed it and put it back in the tank. Is that a bad thing to do? That's how I've always added salt in the past. I didn't know I needed to add salt at every pwc.

All of those little bristleworms that I found had died and were laying on the bottom of the tank so I cleaned all of that out. The nitrates have actually gone down to between 40 and 80.. Maybe I'm making some sort of progress.

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com