Nitrate Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my ten gallon fowlr nitrates are really getting out of hand. In there I only have a firefish, two scarlet skunk shrimp, a hermit crab, and four nassarius snails. I'm supposed to get a clown goby soon, but I might not be able to because nitrates are getting out of hand. :(

I always have trouble bringing my nitrates down below twenty. Everytime I test, which is once a week, they are 40 and then I have do several water changes to bring them down, and I only ever manage to get them to twenty. Does anyone know good methods of controlling nitrates? I was considering placing some live rock in my HOB filter. Please help!

Bettafanatic said:
In my ten gallon fowlr nitrates are really getting out of hand. In there I only have a firefish, two scarlet skunk shrimp, a hermit crab, and four nassarius snails. I'm supposed to get a clown goby soon, but I might not be able to because nitrates are getting out of hand. :(

I always have trouble bringing my nitrates down below twenty. Everytime I test, which is once a week, they are 40 and then I have do several water changes to bring them down, and I only ever manage to get them to twenty. Does anyone know good methods of controlling nitrates? I was considering placing some live rock in my HOB filter. Please help!

The live rock wouldn't help the only thing is pwc or find what's causing it. How's your filters and are you sure your not over feeding?

My filter is pretty good. It does its job well. My problem may be overfeeding. I usually feed every day except for Sunday, but I'm switching to every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday because of these nitrate problems. I'm going to do a few pwc to bring them down tomorrow, prepared the saltwater today. I'm going to make some more saltwater in case I have to do more than one.

How often are you doing pwc's now? That is the best way to control trates. 10% weekly...

I agree that that is the best way. I would do a lot of water changes to completely drop them to 0 and see if you can keep them down. Live rock may help a bit actually if it's thick enough because anaerobic bacteria in the center of the rock would convert nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas. You could put chaeto into the HOB with a little light. That would definitely help.

I do 20% weekly. Tomorrow I'm doing my weekly water change. Tomorrow I need to prepare a lot of saltwater and I'll go into battle against the nitrates the next day. I might try and put some chaeto in the filter. Would I need to put sand or anything else in there too?

I would watch the quantity you are feeding at each feeding. You don't want a bunch of extra food to fall to the substrate and with one fish, it doesnt need much food at all and the inverts can go with very few feedings. One a week could be enough for them. I would cut way back on the food and continue your wc and i am sure you will see improvement without messing wih your filter.

I would watch the quantity you are feeding at each feeding. You don't want a bunch of extra food to fall to the substrate and with one fish, it doesnt need much food at all and the inverts can go with very few feedings. One a week could be enough for them. I would cut way back on the food and continue your wc and i am sure you will see improvement without messing wih your filter.

That sounds like a good plan. The chaeto will be plan B. Thanks everyone! I'll lower the feeding quantity.

Hey betta, sounds like overfeeding. Nothing wrong with feeding everyday but how much are you feeding each time and what are you feeding?

I would be feeding a quarter of a frozen cube or less a day. Shouldnt be feeding much more than a cube and a half a week probably. Not sure if your using filter pads but cleaning them every few days and replacing them weekly or biweekly will help considerably. Also you probably have a lot of organic matter rotting in your sand bed so siphoning it could be a good idea and will help reduce the problem from past overfeeding.

Hey betta, sounds like overfeeding. Nothing wrong with feeding everyday but how much are you feeding each time and what are you feeding?

I would be feeding a quarter of a frozen cube or less a day. Shouldnt be feeding much more than a cube and a half a week probably. Not sure if your using filter pads but cleaning them every few days and replacing them weekly or biweekly will help considerably. Also you probably have a lot of organic matter rotting in your sand bed so siphoning it could be a good idea and will help reduce the problem from past overfeeding.

I usually feed a quarter of a frozen cube at each feeding, but the last few times I've been feeding half a cube for reasons I don't even know o_O I switched back to a quarter of a cube at the last feeding because of these nitrate issues, and now that I'm feeding even less it should help considerably. I'll give the sand some vacuuming but I can't do too much to the sand because of the nassarius sails hidden in there. Wouldn't want to crush one or suck one up.

I don't like changing filter pads because of the risk of a mini-cycle, but I do clean them often. I think I have to start cleaning them even more often now. I usually only change pads when they're worn or torn.

By the way, I feed frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, and marine pellets. I switch between them at each feeding. I'm thinking of adding daphnia or something to the menu too.

Bettafanatic said:
I usually feed a quarter of a frozen cube at each feeding, but the last few times I've been feeding half a cube for reasons I don't even know o_O I switched back to a quarter of a cube at the last feeding because of these nitrate issues, and now that I'm feeding even less it should help considerably. I'll give the sand some vacuuming but I can't do too much to the sand because of the nassarius sails hidden in there. Wouldn't want to crush one or suck one up.

I don't like changing filter pads because of the risk of a mini-cycle, but I do clean them often. I think I have to start cleaning them even more often now. I usually only change pads when they're worn or torn.

By the way, I feed frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, and marine pellets. I switch between them at each feeding. I'm thinking of adding daphnia or something to the menu too.

I have nass snails too, never have i hurt one or sucked one up. So i wouldnt worry mich about that.

Also changing filter pads will not create a mini cycle. You have live rock doing all your biofiltration. Taking out the filter pad will not hurt anything with sufficient live rock like you have. And this is probably a decent source of some of your nitrates.

Switching foods up is great for your stocks nutrition. So feed as many different things as they will eat. No harm there just be sure they are proper size portions.

I have nass snails too, never have i hurt one or sucked one up. So i wouldnt worry mich about that.

Also changing filter pads will not create a mini cycle. You have live rock doing all your biofiltration. Taking out the filter pad will not hurt anything with sufficient live rock like you have. And this is probably a decent source of some of your nitrates.

Switching foods up is great for your stocks nutrition. So feed as many different things as they will eat. No harm there just be sure they are proper size portions.

Are you certain about the filter pads? It just makes me very nervous. I've been doing all freshwater before this so usually that's where the bacteria lives.

But if all the live rock is doing the biological filtration, I'll start changing it more often.

Yeah I think I will add daphnia and some other stuff when I save up some more money. It's all gone :( I'd like to have at least two to three more foods. Thanks for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it! :thanks:

Bettafanatic said:
Are you certain about the filter pads? It just makes me very nervous. I've been doing all freshwater before this so usually that's where the bacteria lives.

But if all the live rock is doing the biological filtration, I'll start changing it more often.

Yeah I think I will add daphnia and some other stuff when I save up some more money. It's all gone :( I'd like to have at least two to three more foods. Thanks for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it! :thanks:

Yep im sure, as long as you have enough rock which in a 10g with your stock would be 5-10lbs.

And the reason it matters in freshwater os because its the only surface the bacteria readily grow on. In saltwater live rock does this job.

No problem helping. Any questions just ask.

Okay I'll replace that filter pad. How often do you recommend replacing in a saltwater tank? Every month or bi-weekly? I'll rush to the LFS tomorrow morning.

I would clean/rinse it weekly and only replace it every 4 to 8 weeks.

Bettafanatic said:
Okay I'll replace that filter pad. How often do you recommend replacing in a saltwater tank? Every month or bi-weekly? I'll rush to the LFS tomorrow morning.

Ive always replaced mine bi-weekly if im using a powerfilter.

If none of the other suggestions work we suggest Prime. We used it with our 8 gallon bio cube. Since it was so small it was harder to keep the nitrates down even with reduced feedings. I'm sure some people are against it. Our LFS uses it as well as the employees in their private tanks at home.

lovefishys said:
If none of the other suggestions work we suggest Prime. We used it with our 8 gallon bio cube. Since it was so small it was harder to keep the nitrates down even with reduced feedings. I'm sure some people are against it. Our LFS uses it as well as the employees in their private tanks at home.

Prime is a great product but is not a solution to nitrate control.

What kind of water are you using for water changes? If its tap, I would bet that measures 20 if you tested it.

Back
Top Bottom