Pincushion Urchin in 20 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there any other fish or other inhabitants in the tank?

How long has the tank been set up and properly cycled?

Cheers
Steve

Not ready yet

Its been cyclying for 3 weeks now. There is only a yellow tail damsel in it. LFS recommendation :twisted:

I'm just looking for the things I'm gona put in the tank.

Urchins are just as sensitive as others inverts and would definately hold off, forward planning is always a great idea. Even though your tank does become "animal" friendly in a few months, I am still wondering if a 20 gal would be enough to support it's nutritional needs.

You should be able to suppliment it's diet with nori wrapped on a rock surface for it to graze on but you will need to stay on top of it. Even with the LR in the tank I still think it will need it. Just be aware that the urchin will most likely make short work of the coralline in no time.

Cheers
Steve

what happens if it eats all of the corraline? will it affect other things in the tank?

Coralline has many possitive affects on the health of the tank, O2, ph, astetics, as well as aiding in nuisance algae control. You will also have to decide if you want grey looking rock or the many colors the coralline will offer and the look you may possibley be sacrificing.

Cheers
Steve

it looks like it will do more harm than good. I guess the snails (Turbo n Nausser) + some dwarf hermits will take care of the algea for me right?

Also what about detreitus? Do you need something to clean that or will the rock be sufficient?

Thanks for all your help...

In the long run it is probabley a better choice without the urchin. :wink:

Here are some good snail choices:

Nassarius great for detritus and the sand bed.
Nerite especially good at film algaes..
Cerith cleans both the glass and the sand bed..
Bumblebees cleans up the uneaten food bits as well as detritus... looks cool too.
Margarita another excellent algae eater..

All have a different function (some similar) and will aid in keeping the tank clean.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom