Power Outage Contingency Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a Marine tank in the 80`s Ran great for about 6 years. Then we went on Vacation. Came back and there was a circuit break due to a power outage. Lost most of the tank (the Snowflake hung in there!).

Is there a power contingency plan these days? Some kind of back-up battery that kicks in if the power goes out?

Does the Live Rock help a bit because it continues filtering for a while after power goes out? How long can it continue to do this?

thanks

I have seen battery powered air pumps available from some of the internet aquarium supply places.

A small generator would be very handy for extended outages.

There is also some kind of a converter designed for computers that converts battery current to AC which some aquarists have discussed on the boards.

I am using a UPS made for a computer. It gives me about 6 hours of filter and even longer if I just use a pump. A Marine Deep Cycle battery and an inverter would last even longer, but I like the UPS cause it will switch over automatically. You can get inverters that have a sensor for the power drop (it is what most RVs have)

Back
Top Bottom