Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-12-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
powerheads ??? how many ?

Hey all, got a question. 55 gal. FOWLR : I am currently running a 300 gph. power filter with carbon. I have two powerheads, both are maxi-jet
600. I have one on each end, top and one around middle. In a few weeks I will be adding a CPR refugium with built in protein skimmer. It will be opposite end of the power filter. No fish yet still cycleing the tank and curing rock. What do you think ??

batfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think you could do with some more circulation. Of course depending on how you put your rock in and how the PH's are providing current in/around the rock what you have might be adiquite. The generale rule is to start with at least a 10 X flow rate. I know your at that point already so from here on out the flow is somewhat your preference and how your getting flow in and around your rock.

Sometimes moving 1 rock just a little bit can have a drastic effect on flow to merit another PH.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would add another power head or two.

600's are not that strong.

I have 2 1200's and 2 900's in my 72 gallon tank hooked up to a wave maker and I am very satisfied with my water flow.

You want to have enough water flow to accomplish several things, flow accross your LR, create surface tension, flow in dead areas like the back of the tank.
creating currents in the tank reproduces a more natural eco-system.

Experiment and see what works best for your set up.

Good Luck
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com