Question about cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

it512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been setup for about 6 weeks and the cycling process hasn't even started. Nitrite, Ammonia, and Nitrate are all at 0 and have been. I've had the Fish and Crabs in there for about 5 weeks.
Every thing I've read says it should be done cycling at about 6 weeks.
Is this correct or is there something you can suggest?
I also was wondering should I do any water and/or carbon changes before the tank cycles.

I really appreciate any help you could give me.

Fish:
Maroon clown and Clown
20 blue hermit crabs
35lb live rock
also used all live sand.

Equipment:
55 Gal glass tank
CYHO II Protein Skimmer
Cascade Canister Filter Model 1500 "can support upto a 300Gal" Aquaclear 50 power head
No special lighting "yet"

Welcome to AA first of all.

Secondly, how did you attempt to cycle, and did you test the water throughout the first couple of weeks? Not sure how you've got fish and crabs living in a non-cycled tank. How long have the fish been in there? How long for the crabs? Decribe your live rock. Where'd it come from?

And don't change the water until we figure out what's going on with your tank. Maybe you missed the cycle signs/indicators with a bad test kit.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Do you have a test kit? I had my LFS test mine, so I didn't really get to see my tank cycle.
I agree with austinsdad's questions and advice.

austinsdad said:
Welcome to AA first of all.

Secondly, how did you attempt to cycle, and did you test the water throughout the first couple of weeks? Not sure how you've got fish and crabs living in a non-cycled tank. How long have the fish been in there? How long for the crabs? Decribe your live rock. Where'd it come from?

And don't change the water until we figure out what's going on with your tank. Maybe you missed the cycle signs/indicators with a bad test kit.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon and for everyones help.

I tested the water every 2 to 3 days for the first 4 weeks. Everything was at Zero, after that twice a week. The fish have been in there for about 5 weeks and Crabs about 4. I started with salt water from a LFS about 25gals the other 25 was RO with instant ocean. My LR and LS came from a LFS. The LR was already cured. I'm starting to think my Tank is already cycled because of adding the salt water from the LFS didn't really think about that tell now. One thing I didn't mention in my first post was: About 2 weeks ago I noticed the water get really cloudy and I had Pods all over the sides of the tank, but there was no spike in ammonia or nitrite.

Sounds like the combiantion of cured, populated live rock and LFS water gave you an instant cycle. I did that with a new 155g tank, 100 or so lbs of live rock from my previously populated tank, a bit of old sand also, and 5 fish or so. It was more likely the cured, populated rock that gave you the instant cycle, not the water I believe. P.S. - if that "live sand" was in a bag, nothing was really alive in it. Just something for new life to take up residence in. Still a good thing though.

Sounds like you're on your way. Go slowly so that fish additions don't overburden your good bacteria population. Keep watching the nitrates and ammonia as fish additions are made to make sure you're staying balanced.

Is this gonna be fish only or reef? Let us know so we can help yu with what goes in next maybe. Sounds like you should do some snails now. Astreas, turbos (small ones), nassarius (for the sand beds), and a few other types might do now. Maybe 1/2 to a dozen for now I'm thinking. Noticed any algae yet? If not, you will soon. Also look up diatoms also. You may have a run of that too soon.

I would also recommend the pwc now. Use aged and aireated SW. Mix it today and maybe use it tomorrow evening. I'm thinking 15 - 20%.

Thanks again for all your help.

I plain on starting with a FO and in 1 or 2 years move to reef. I've had allege growing on the tank walls for about 2 weeks now, I also have what I think are Amphipods running around on the walls of the tanks. I've also noticed a little white dot with hairs around it. I've also noticed what I think is diatoms growing on my LR.

So your recommending getting:
Astreas, turbos (small ones), nassarius (for the sand beds), and a few other types might do now. 1/2 dozen to a dozen total right?

I've got some saltwater I've had for about 3 weeks setting in a container, I've keep it cool and in my fish tank stand. 2 7gal containers. Would it be OK to use this? I looked in the container and there was no bad spell and it looked like no allege was growing. This is Saltwater from a LFS..
When you say aireated should I put a powerhead inside a bucket to stirup the SW?

I like the bumble bee snails too....

I've keep it cool and in my fish tank stand. 2 7gal containers. Would it be OK to use this? I looked in the container and there was no bad spell and it looked like no allege was growing.

If it is sealed you should be good, test it to make sure, with yout test kit.

When you say aireated should I put a powerhead inside a bucket to stirup the SW?
Yes, point the PH toward the surface of the water and let the gas exchange balance out your pH. You might also add a heater, to get that water the same temp as your tank.

Airate that water overnight at least I believe. And it should be the same temp as the main also.

Look for the mexican turbos. kinda silverish and smaller than just plain turbos (w/the big poop). Got an LFS nearby?

I keep my water (fresh and salt mix) in 44g NEW trashcans with wheels dollys attached on'm.

What about Cleaner shrimp, is that somthing good to have? will they do OK if I get a tang?

Cleaner shrimp are cool, just don't overfeed or they will become lazy and not clean....

austinsdad said:
Airate that water overnight at least I believe. And it should be the same temp as the main also.

Look for the mexican turbos. kinda silverish and smaller than just plain turbos (w/the big poop). Got an LFS nearby?

I keep my water (fresh and salt mix) in 44g NEW trashcans with wheels dollys attached on'm.

Yes, I've got about 2 LFS with large selections of fish.
OK I'll start with 6 mexican turbos and 6 nassarius. Now they don't require any special lighting do they? I havn't purchased any VHO, or T-5 lighting yet, plaining on as soon as I make a decision on what to go with.

T-5 is HO lighting...I think. I just bought one and love it. I think it migh be contributing to my cyano outbreak, but I'm working on it.

I don't think any of those snails really need any special lighting.

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I have one small LFS where I live, but they seem to keep a good variety and pricey stuff...

roka64 said:
T-5 is HO lighting...I think. I just bought one and love it. I think it migh be contributing to my cyano outbreak, but I'm working on it.

I don't think any of those snails really need any special lighting.

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I have one small LFS where I live, but they seem to keep a good variety and pricey stuff...

I live in Phoenix, AZ
There's Ocean Floor that's about 17,000sqf store, the other is called AquaTouch.
Ocean Floor has your sales people and AquaTouch has the guys that seem to know what there doing. But both places have a really good verity of Fish, inverts, etc.....
Of course costly...
And then of couse there's Petco which is good if you want sick fish.

Thats about the only thing I miss about not being in Anaheim,CA ...There was a internet/LFS supply warehouse (forgot name now darnit!!!) about 20 mins from me that had huge stocks and cheap prices!!... They had a tank of LR that they sold for around $1.50 lb and was mostly made up of frags and rocks that had corals that had died off or where going so they couldnt sell em as nice pieces so would chuck em in there...Used to find some nice stuff in there!

Now I'm in Florida which you would think would have LFS's like 7-11's since the state is surrounded by ocean on 3 sides!! but I havent seen to many here in cent. Fl.

Wow thats amazing, you would think Florida would have LFS everywhere.
Man I wish I could find LR for 1.50lb. everywhere I go it's about 4.50lb and thats the cheap stuff.

Well, I added snails and a cleaner shrimp yesterday, they seem to be doing real good today. Unfortunitly I had my CLown fish sucked into my powerhead and ofcouse he is dead, didn't notice it tell the next day. Made an adjustment to my powerhead so it shouldn't happen again. I've had freshwater tanks for about 5 years, salt water tanks are much more interesting.
I've got little white things running around under rocks and shells, there about 1/16 of an inch and I also noticed what look like the same thing but it was about 1/4inch. I wish I could explaine or show you what they look like but there fast. I'm thinking shrimp or baby hermit crabs. Don't know.

Back
Top Bottom