Question/Help please! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patricksmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had my water tested like 2 weeks ago.. everything was perfect except PH was low.. like 7.4-7.8ish.. (i think thats what they said) anyhow.. they sent me home with some Marine Buffer to add.. which a week later i got it to 8.3. So Since the water tested ok we decied to bring home a porcupine puffer. The only thing we currently had in the tank was some LR.

So Since we got the puffer he seems to be doing well. So went to the LFS and got a spotted box fish and more LR. Then again went to the LFS and got a Humu Humu and a little more LR. So they are all living together happily and eating well.

I just tested the water and here are the numbers.. I need help getting them to where they should be. Also, will the fish survive? I am semi new at this saltwater tank

Tank Specs: 60gal
Fluval 305 filter
Puffer,Boxfish and Humu Humu
12lbs (est) of LR
Sand bottom

I just tested the water it is

PH-right around 8.. more less purple then purple..
Ammonia-around 1.5ppm
Nitrite-around .50ppm
Nitrate-10-20ppm

I think the ammonia is high due to over feeding.. i accidently put too much krill and shrimp in there.

Since I still have marine buffer I mixed 2 teaspoons in a cup and added it to the tank. so hopefully I can safely bring that up.

any ideas for the rest?

I appreciate ANY assistance :)

Ok so lil update. after i posted that i decided to do a little waterchange.. it was about 6gallons.. so less then 25%.. How long should i wait to test it again? Should i have done more then just 6 gallons for those numbers?

I think the addition of more LR may cause a little spike in ammonia too if you have some die off.

Ya it will but it should convert into nitrite then to nitrate. You shouldnt have present ammonia in the tank. Or nitrite for that matter.

Hello I think you will be ok if you can fix these two problems

1. Tank too small, 125g+ recommended
2. 13lbs too little, 60lbs+ recommended (for your 60g)

There's plenty of other things that will help you will minimizing water changes.

is it unheard of for these 3 fish to be in a 60gal tank?

I added stress zyme, stress coat and Ammo Lock.. Should I do more water change this evening? I tested again after doing a little water change.. everything was still high except the PH.. it was where it should be.

Here is a pic of the tank.. The white on the sides is from adding the Marine Buffer.. Not sure if this shape of a tnak makes a difference..
tHlPU.jpg

Your tank is not an ideal foot print for those 3 fish you have...
Your ammonia should never be anything but 0...Did this tank go through a complete cycle ...
I would strongly advise you to get the fish out and add more LR and let the tank cycle ,then get more adequate fish for your tank...It is a nice hexagon tank and will look great with the right fish ie. clowns,hawkfish,firefish,dottybacks ect..

Every cycle is different .....Just google "the nitrogen cycle" and you'll understand it a lot better,,and will be able to see the step by step process (y)

YUP!!!!! Those fish all need 125+ tanks. Sorry. Those fish thats FTMMWS suggested are great!!!!! Would look really good in your tank!!!!!!

YUP!!!!! Those fish all need 125+ tanks. Sorry. Those fish thats FTMMWS suggested are great!!!!! Would look really good in your tank!!!!!!

Just found out my mom has a 150G tank she isnt using at home.... so if i aquire that and get it set up.. i am guessing it will be ok to leave the puffer in there (my 60gal tank) for a few months.. He isnt super big right now.. maybe 3 inches?...

And consider not using chem ph adjustments. I am more of a fw guy, so if I am wrng some saltier members can correct. But fish do better with balance ph. And chem adjustment of ph often leads to spikes or drops down the line. I always recommend acclimating ur fish to the ph or using natural buffers to adjust ph. But again. I don't have an awesome reef tank either... So someone else comment further.

Recommended to have at least 150lbs of LR for a 150g. Get a skimmer that can hang on the side of your tank. It'll really help your system.

The hex tank is the least ideal fish tank for large fish.

Its a tough project. Good luck friend!

Well I meant to write earlier in the week but ita been crazy busy. Long story short. It's my fault for not properly cycling my tank... We lost all 3 fish on Monday am. Even with adding stuff and pwc just wasnt enough. Lesson learned. :( unfortunately these guys had to be lost. So here we are wed night. My tank is def in a cycle. Monday ammonia was 8 and nitrites were 0. Today ammonia is about 4 and nitrites are at 2-5. Nitrates are around 10-20. Water is at 1.021-1.022. Is that too low? Only thing in there is live rock? Thanks for everyone's help. After the tank is READY we will only stock it with proper fish :)

I did have it higher when the fish were in there but ran out of salt to mix back in after the last water change. This weekend I will add more. I guess I was wondering of that was ok for the live rock..?

Back
Top Bottom