Red Algae and green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaybird2719

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Marine tank that I have had for three years. 1 Year ago I lost a Yellow Tang, 2 Clowns, 1 watchman Gobie, and an anemone, do to poor lighting. The only fish I had left was one clownfish. This past year, I really neglected the tank, rarely doing water changes, but the clown appeared to be doing fine.(during all this time, I didn't have any algae problems) Approx 2 months ago, my wife and I decided to take a better care of the tank and planned to restock it.

I purchased a marine coral life light with 2 60 watt bulbs, and a new filter. I did an initial 10 gallon water change and have been doing weekly 5 gallon water changes. 1 vac the sand on the bottom vigorously. Approx 2 weeks ago, I started getting a red algae on the glass. I would clean the glass and scrape where necessary. Just last week, I started getting a heavy red algae that cover the entire sand, on the bottom of the tank. I vac the tank and clean the glass, and the next day, it is the same. I have even resulted in the Marine Algaefix, from Fosters and Smith.

My tank is a 26 gallon bow front.

Any help out there??? I am desperate. I didn't have any problems, until I started trying to clean up the tank... Note the clown is still doing fine, do I need to slow down the water changes??

It sounds like your new lights is what is causing the growth. Your old lights were probably unable to provide usable light for the algae because of their age. Once you put the new lights in...boom, here comes the growth. If you get some readings on your tank and post them here, we can have help you pinpoint your issue and help you eliminate the problem. Also, fish don't die due to lighting issues, so there must have been another reason for their deaths. Most likely, when your anemone died it nuked your tank. I'd definitely run a full test sequence on your tank to figure out whats going on before you purchase any other livestock.

Yellow Tang, 2 Clowns, 1 watchman Gobie, and an anemone. The only fish I had left was one clownfish.

My tank is a 26 gallon bow front.

Note the clown is still doing fine, do I need to slow down the water changes??

A few pointers based on the above info:

• The Tang would have been stressed in a tank that small.
  • The tank may have been overstocked.
  • Water changes are your best friends - keep up with those!
Did the Anemone die first?

To tackle algae problems, cut down on lighting, feed every other day and use RODI water. Do you have a test kit? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity - specific gravity - and even phosphate) post your readings here, or get a test kit ASAP. High nitrates and phosphate levels cause nuisance algae.

How long are your lights on for?

Krypt is spot on - excessive or poor lighting can't kill fish, but can cause issues with Anemones and corals, and if the nem died first, chances are it nuked your tank and took out the tank mates with it.

Back
Top Bottom