Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Red slim

I have red slim in my tank and I want to treat it before it becomes too serious.Is there any type of invertebrates than I can get to eliminate it.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pictures would be great for identification purposes.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano is a sign of poor water conditions. First I'd figure out what the cause of your high nitrates and phosphates are (too much feeding, not cleaning filter media etc). Then you can siphon the cyano off and make some large water changes. If all else fails, you can get red slime remover made by chemiclean. Works pretty well. Unless the cause of the cyano is addressed, it'll just keep coming back.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got it off of my sandbed last night and did a water change,but it's still some on my live rock,someone told me to buy some "chemiclean" and it should be gone in a couple days?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd brush your rock and siphon it off. If after you change your feeding habits, it's still growing then you can use chemiclean. It works well, but you have to keep your skimmer off for a couple days while it works.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef-master003
I got it off of my sandbed last night and did a water change,but it's still some on my live rock,someone told me to buy some "chemiclean" and it should be gone in a couple days?
Using chemiclean will not solve the issue. Nutrients are the problem that needs addressed. Proper maintenance and siphoning out of the cyano will fix the problem along with figuring out where the nutrients are coming from.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Using chemiclean will not solve the issue. Nutrients are the problem that needs addressed. Proper maintenance and siphoning out of the cyano will fix the problem along with figuring out where the nutrients are coming from.
Ok,I feed my fish every other day and I run my lights from 1:00-9:00,is this ok
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had lots of different micro algae, making sure all food is being eaten when I'm feeding, your lights aren't on to long and keeping up with water changes sorted out mine, once my tank was established ( 16 months in my case) every thing seems to run smoothly as long as I didn't get lazy on maintenance, think about your cuc, I added 3 medium sized emerald crabs a year ago and they have kept hair, brown and bubbly algea under control,fascinating to watch to, I also added a algae Blenny, very interesting fish with a huge appetite for hair algae, animals won't eradicate algae hence why we call it algae control, good water is the key to a clean tank IMO,
Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef-master003

Ok,I feed my fish every other day and I run my lights from 1:00-9:00,is this ok
Usually lighting schedules run about 10-12 hours. Also light has nothing to do with cyano. The feeding schedule is fine.

What is your maintenance schedule?

What filtration? How often cleaned?

Also what are your current nitrate and phosphate readings?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Usually lighting schedules run about 10-12 hours. Also light has nothing to do with cyano. The feeding schedule is fine.

What is your maintenance schedule?

What filtration? How often cleaned?

Also what are your current nitrate and phosphate readings?
It's 2 black perc clowns in a 46 gal fowlr,5 gallon water change once a month,feed them every other day(frozen shrimp/flakes),scrub glass when needed,change filters every 2 months

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com