RO/DI Water Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noob Aquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I finally bought a 20 Gal Brute starage container with a top to store my RO/DI water in. I have a heater and a pump going through it right now to keep it aerated. Should I use a seperate container or buckets to mix my salt water in? I have 2, 5 gal buckets from Home Depot that I can do that in but it all seems kind of tasking with having to mix and heat for 24 hours...

Thoughts? What do you all do?

If you don't need a lot at one time you could probably use buckets and do 5 gals at a time. I use 5 gallon spring water jugs , add my salt , fill with DIRO and then put an airstone in and let it run. Salt disolves in a day or so. I don't bother with a heater or a water pump just an airpump and airstone has worked for me.

I keep one container for FW storage (for top off, etc), and another for SW storage. I don't heat the FW, only the saltwater while it's being mixed overnight (with a circulation pump to keep it moving).

I use two 32g trash cans, one for salt and one for unsalted. :) But I also go through a couple hundred gallons of water a month. LOL

I use two 32g trash cans, one for salt and one for unsalted. :) But I also go through a couple hundred gallons of water a month. LOL

Hopefully some day. Working on plans now to finally finish off half the basement and main focus of the room will be water related. Fish tanks and numerous treasures I found scuba diving will have a place all their own. :D
Need to get a good start before the boss changes her mind.

For my 55, I mix the saltwater up in the container I'm storing it in. With that being said, I also have other containers of not mixed water for my top off. I would use empty water jugs for the top off and a 5 gallon bucket for the mixed.
With my ro/di being down currently, I keep with the same process just with ro water from the store.

I keep y fresh water heated too. If my reservoirs run low and I add the water it would need to be at tank temperature. :) ANd depending on the size of the tank adding cold or hot water to it would raise or lower the whole tank, if its not a big tank that is. Just some more information to consider

I have a 55 gal food grade barrel that I use for my PWC's,... Every Monday I make up about 40 + gallons of RODI water for next Monday's water change,,usually on Saturday afternoon I'll add the salt to it to get it ready,...I always have a heater in it t all times equaling the tans temp,...I find it easier to do his than to rush things at the last minute,

Back
Top Bottom