RO Unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know how an ro unit will work off a well? I dont want to drain my well to fill my tank and have muddy water. Also I dont want to not be able to shower for a couple days. If anyone can tell me advice that would be awesome. Its a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gal sump by the way.

For that size tank, I don't think you have anything to worry about. These systems are usually operating at about a 3:1 rejection rate so you aren't talking about hundreds of gallons of water (once you complete the initial fill). If you do a 10-20% water change every few weeks you are talking about 20 gallons of water to make, or 60-80 gallons total. That is like taking a 10-15 minute shower. You just may have to change your prefilters a little more often so you aren't bombarding the RO membrane with hard water.

My parents have ran an RO system for drinking water off of their well for 20+ years. It has never been an issue.

What rodi system would you reccommend buying? And would I need something more than 75 gpd?

Im so happy you showed me this one. Ive been looking at this for months now and im glad to see other people use it. I just want to get the one with the 150 gpd upgrade so the waste is less and I conserve some well water.

Lots of folks use the BRS systems here, and I have never seen a negative comment or review that I can recall.

Several folks also use the eBay systems, and while some have been happy with them, I have also seen a lot of people buy a BRS system and upgrade AFTER using the eBay system, and be happy they did.

I believe adding the extra membrane to get to the 150gpd system actually reduces the rejection by half. Only caution here - the dual membrane 150gpd systems require really good water pressure to work effectively. If your pressure is low, you may have to add a booster pump to get it to work.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Also how could I tell how much pressure it is coming out of the tap?

A gauge. The plus systems come with one and you will definitely want one.

Big problem. Im on a budget. I just saw my water pressure is only 10-15 psi. I really do not want to spend all this extra money on a booster pump. Anything I can do?

Back
Top Bottom