Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Saltwater fishses keep dying! Not sure why?

I started my first 55 gallon tank about two months ago. I let the tank cycle for about 3 weeks. Checked for the salinity and tested everything else and water quality was perfect. Added about 30 lbs of live rock. Did use tap water though to start this tank and added drops of prime. Slowly added fishes in- clowns and a damsel. They got ich and died because I wasn't sure at the time what it was, so didn't have time to cure them. So I did a water change, tested everything and results were fine so decided to add in 6 snails, 2 tangs, a puffer, and 2 more clowns. About a week later they all got ich again and I tried to treat them w medicine. Didnt work and they died within a couple of days. HELP!!! I don't know what to do next. Should I start this tank all over again!? Take everything out and use ro water only?? Need a stronger filter? Protein skimmer?

=\

Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No you need research. You didnt think about what fish you were adding when you dumped them in the tank, because you added 2 tangs to a 55 gallon. Tangs get ich very very easily because they have a thin slime coat. They get ich when they are stressed and fish are stressed when they are put in a tank that is too small, which is the case you have. A blue tang for example needs at least a 125 gallon tank, a yellow tank needs 100 gallons. I assume you had one of these tangs. Also, 2 puffers?!? What type? Some need very big tanks as well. Dont add any more fish until you do more research

Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

It was just one puffer. The guy at the store said those two small tangs were ok. Any idea why they were so stressed? They were the ones that got ich first. Is it because the tanks too small?? Darn that salesman if that's the case!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

Oh hello! You said it is the case because the tanks too small. But my damsel and clown before them even died =\
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya i am telling you that the fish store you are buying from is not reliable. You have a point, why would the damsel an clown get ich? Its because they were exposed to it at the store. They were probably in a tank with a tang, or some other fish that had ich. That salesman is just that, he wants to sell you fish that dont belong there and make money.

Overall i would test your levels again, wait a few weeks, buy from a differant store, and possibly quarentine your fish in a smaller tank before putting them in the 55 gallon.

Ps, im not saying the 55 gallon tank is small or bad, its actually a great tank because it is 4' long which makes it a great tank for fish that like to swim alot. Im just saying its a bad tank for tangs. What type of tangs did you have??
Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

I'm not even sure. Shame on me! I'm all new to this and thought I can handle it. Boy was I wrong! There was a yellow tang and a striped one. What's the process of quarantining (sp) like?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The tank needs to sit without fish for 8 weeks for the ick to die before you can add new fish. Qt IMO should be a 6 week hyposalinity treatment . After that there should be no chance of ick getting in your display . As nu nu as said you need to research fish and only keep the ones that are suitable for your tank size.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok i want you to go to liveaquaria.com and look under the tangs and puffers. See if you can ID the fish you got!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Hondatek- IMO whaaaat? Please explain this is all new to me! Gotta talk kid terms
Old 06-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

And do I change the water?? All of it? Some?

Tags
dyi, dying, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com