seachem calcium test kit & Reef advantage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just got the Seachem Calcium test and ran it. For anyone that has used this before I have a few questions.

1.) When you get to the last step on the test and you add the drops of Calcium Titrant until the water color changes to "true blue", do you read your results by how many ml of the solution you added to the test tube? Or how much you have left in the syringe? For example, I used .65ml of the solution, leaving .35 in the syringe. I think that means my ppm is 325. Am I correct?

2.) Next question is about the Reef Advantage calcium I bought to raise the calcium level. Instructions say to add 1 teaspoon per 40 gallons dissolved in 1 cup of "freshwater". It does not indicate how much this will raise my calcium by. Also, what do they mean by freshwater? Fresh salt water, tap water or distilled? I do not want to put tap water in my tank. I'm hoping they mean fresh saltwater.

TIA
DJ

Are you also testing alkalinity? When testing & dosing one, you need to test the other. They are linked.

I tested Alkalinity last week and it was a little low, although LFS retested and said it was fine.

On a side note, Copi, I see you live near me (Old Bride, NJ). What LFS do you use? I'm always on the lookout for a good one.

TIA
DJ

If you're dosing calcium regularly you'll also want to test both on a regular basis. pH also -- they're all linked. Do a search on this site -- there has been lots of good discussion on this topic.

Regarding LFS: I buy everything I can (excluding fish) online due to a schedule which often prohibits me from shopping during normal business hours. I've purchased several fish from absolutely fish (absolutelyfish.com), located in Clifton -- I've always been pleased, but I really don't care for the fact that they offer no guarantee on livestock. They can be a bit pricey, too.

re: Absolutely fish... that's where I got my beautiful Purple Tang with ICH and the royal gramma who died (and I don't want to know what he died of because it sounded far worse than ich). I won't buy any more fish from them. I'll stick to buying fish at Tropaquarium in Ocean. I've had nothing but healthy fish from them.

As far as the Ca addition dose a little and test again to see how high it takes you then test every day for a week and see how far it drops. Then you'll know how much you have to add and how often to keep your levels within the desired range. Definitely test/dose alk with the ca because they go up and down together in a balanced system.

.35 is = 325. Mix it with RO/DI water and put that into your tank (like into the sump). You could mix it with your topoff if you want. Otherwise an extra cup of RO/DI in your 54 won't matter much.

.35 is = 325. Mix it with RO/DI water and put that into your tank (like into the sump). You could mix it with your topoff if you want. Otherwise an extra cup of RO/DI in your 54 won't matter much.

I don't have a sump. I have a canister filter. So, if I understand you correctly, it OK to add right to the tank then, mixed with the RO/DI?

DJ

YOU TANK THE AMOUNT OF DROPS X 20 IS YOUR READING

You lost me. It didn't say to count the number of drops. In fact, I wasn't putting the Calcium Titrant in with a dropper, but wit a syringe at .01ml per addition. The directions don't say anything about multiplying by 20.

Disregard Exvisor's comment. they must not be using the same calcium test kit.

You go off the reading on the syringe. So if you add a bunch and it turns blue, you read the syringe at the 'titrate' level...say it's 0.5. then reference that on the chart taht comes with the kit. Its not about counting drops, but reading the level on the syringe, which tells you basically how much you had to add to get the color to change. The more you ahve to add, the higher your calcium level.

(i'm not at home in front of my kit or I could be a little more clear)

Back
Top Bottom