Set Up QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akasha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my QT tank last night and have it running. Its a 29 gallon with a hob filter and a heater. When do you think it will be ok to put my Damsel in and start hydro treatment for the ich?

He seems so happy in my dt tank..I hate to move him. He is eating well and not showing any signs of ich.

He looked like it for a day or so, but then I came home from work one day and he was fine. I was told the tank still has ich. That they just fell off him.

That could be very well true. If the QT is not cycled you`ll need to do some frequent PWC`s to lower the ammonia.

Can you tell me what the time frame is for seeing ich on him again if it is in fact in my tank?

Can you tell me what the time frame is for seeing ich on him again if it is in fact in my tank?

Actually, it could be more like 1-2 weeks depending on how bad it's infected. Ich will make you think its there one minute, and gone the next. That's why it's a tough one to deal with. One day you're setting up the QT, the next day you're scratching your head because your fish looks fine.

Melosu... FYI, a lot of background on this can be found here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/cycling-frustration-134846-2.html

Thanks guys. He has yet to show any other signs at all. I think I will wait a few weeks to see if anything returns. At that point do you think it would be safe to assume that I was wrong. I have read every article you guys have sent me. I appreciate it. I tested my water again last night and everything looks great.

...I think I will wait a few weeks to see if anything returns. At that point do you think it would be safe to assume that I was wrong. ...

No, not really. But without seeing the fish or any pictures of what you originally saw, it's hard to say if it was ich or not. From your other thread though, sure sounds like ich.

Yeah, I didn't take any. Seriously it was there for a day max. Then it was gone. That is why I am questioning it. I just don't want to move him to the qt and add more stress if it's not necessary. I know I sound like a pain in the butt..but I promise I am not. If you guys feel its better to take him out and treat him I will, but I am just not sure since everything seems fine with him and the tank.

One other question, will ich affect snails? I am thinking about getting some for a CUC, but don't want to if I am unsure about the tank. As of right now, he is the only thing in there.

Thanks Again.

Ich won't affect snails, so no worries there. But has the tank finished its cycle yet? In that other thread, it sounded like you might've put the damsels in a little earlier and you were still cycling. If you have any ammonia or nitrites present, don't put anything else in there until it's done cycling.

Regarding the fish... not really sure what to say since there's no way to know what exactly you saw. I *do* know that a fish with ich can look "salted" one day and clean the next. I've seen it in fish stores, and experienced it just recently with a wrasse I'm treating. It was in the QT for a couple days when it showed obvious signs of ich. I immediately started dropping the salinity and the next day the spots were gone. About 4 days later, a couple spots reappeared. Since then, it's been clean.

So yeah... you could've misdiagnosed, or you could just be seeing the normal life cycle.

I tested my water again last night and it was showing no nitrites or ammonia. I honestly believe that since I bought live sand, live rock and a filter from an established tank )that was running until I picked the stuff up) that it didn't take much to cycle my tank. At this point I was thinking of added part of my CUC, what would you recommend? I have a 55 with LR. I need something to help with my algae.

As far as my damsel, I will take him out the minute I suspect that the Ich is back and put him in my QT tank and start treatment on him. I will wait on doing anything fish wise for a few weeks until I feel comfortable that there is no Ich at all.

Well, he was showing signs of ich again tonight, so I have taken him out, put him in the qt and hope to get him treated. At this time I have some snails and hermits in the dt. I don't need to worry about them getting ich right? Also, I have to wait 8 weeks leaving my tank fishless right? That should eradicate the ich in my dt correct?

Back
Top Bottom