Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeah, I didn't take any. Seriously it was there for a day max. Then it was gone. That is why I am questioning it. I just don't want to move him to the qt and add more stress if it's not necessary. I know I sound like a pain in the butt..but I promise I am not. If you guys feel its better to take him out and treat him I will, but I am just not sure since everything seems fine with him and the tank.

One other question, will ich affect snails? I am thinking about getting some for a CUC, but don't want to if I am unsure about the tank. As of right now, he is the only thing in there.

Thanks Again.

akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ich won't affect snails, so no worries there. But has the tank finished its cycle yet? In that other thread, it sounded like you might've put the damsels in a little earlier and you were still cycling. If you have any ammonia or nitrites present, don't put anything else in there until it's done cycling.

Regarding the fish... not really sure what to say since there's no way to know what exactly you saw. I *do* know that a fish with ich can look "salted" one day and clean the next. I've seen it in fish stores, and experienced it just recently with a wrasse I'm treating. It was in the QT for a couple days when it showed obvious signs of ich. I immediately started dropping the salinity and the next day the spots were gone. About 4 days later, a couple spots reappeared. Since then, it's been clean.

So yeah... you could've misdiagnosed, or you could just be seeing the normal life cycle.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
I tested my water again last night and it was showing no nitrites or ammonia. I honestly believe that since I bought live sand, live rock and a filter from an established tank )that was running until I picked the stuff up) that it didn't take much to cycle my tank. At this point I was thinking of added part of my CUC, what would you recommend? I have a 55 with LR. I need something to help with my algae.

As far as my damsel, I will take him out the minute I suspect that the Ich is back and put him in my QT tank and start treatment on him. I will wait on doing anything fish wise for a few weeks until I feel comfortable that there is no Ich at all.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Well, he was showing signs of ich again tonight, so I have taken him out, put him in the qt and hope to get him treated. At this time I have some snails and hermits in the dt. I don't need to worry about them getting ich right? Also, I have to wait 8 weeks leaving my tank fishless right? That should eradicate the ich in my dt correct?

qt tank, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com