Several weird things going on.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjjennings13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a saltwater tank with 1 domino damsel, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 six line wrasse, 2 clown fish, 1 hippo tang, 1 lawnmower blenny 1 green chromis.

As I was movimg some live rock around in the tank I noticed a small black spot in the sand. It stunk really bad. I scooped that part of discolored sand out. The next day I noticed the chromis acting strange.... (Dont know how to explaine his actions other than saying he looked like he was humping the rock. ) the same day I found white pimple looking spots on my hippo tang. We went out and got a bottle of api brand super ick cure. We treated it. Waited 48 hours before treating again. The spots cleared up. A day or so later I found a whole area near the glass that appeared over night of the black stuff. The next day I found the chromis and a damsel dead. Did a partial water change tested the water. Everything was perfect. The next day the white pimple spots were back and on all our fish. We took all the live rubble rock out and dosed the tank again with the ick cure.

Is the white spots ick?
What is the black growth in my sand?
What do I do?

I ment to add that about 5 days before anything started hapening we added 2lbs of live rubble rock in with out big live rock.

Can you post some pics? I had my tank go thru a mini cycle when I added some more live rock to my tank maybe that could be why?

Tell us a bit more about your set up, how big, how long has it been set up? What are you parameters? What kind of filtration or water change schedule? Black stuff could be dead things (snails perhaps?) and fish dying due to the die off (ammonia?) is your blue tang really in a 20g?

The tank is a 55g. Its been set up and cycleing for about 2 monthes. The hippo was in the 20g with the others. We moved them over to the 55 3 weeks ago. Filtration we r runnning 2 60rated hang on back filters. We do 25% water changes every sunday.

What is your nitrate reading? Elevated nitrate can cause snail loss, especially turbo snails. Worst stink in my first tank was when a turbo died. And it left a black stain where it died. Gross.
Ick treatment in the DT may have killed your BB causing elevated ammonia etc. was that 0 test done a few days after the treatment? Or before?

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 300
Ph 8.4
I write down everything in a littlle book such as adding fish, testing water, dead fish ect. These numbers were the same b4 and after the ick treatment was added.

Back
Top Bottom