Stingray Feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waites03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK first, I am new to forums, and a growing satt water tank hobbiest.

We have gotten a very healthy beautiful stingray (cortez stingray). He is healthy and happy in the tank plenty of swimming room etc.
I do wonder how much feeding is good. He is asking I meaning really wanting to be feed! Twice a day about four little shrimp, and he is a baby in size. Just little worried about over feeding. Helpful insist is welcome.

when u say plenty of swimming room what do u mean, how big is ur tank? rays need a big tank with a 3 inch sand bed to cover themselfs in. as for feeding i would feed pemysis shrip in a 1 inch x 1 inch squre depending on its size and as it grows u increase the amount till it is big enough to eat squid and krill but make shure u add all the good stuff to its food like amino omega and all the right vitamiins for him.

He is about 2 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch round the whole tank is his and plenty of sand for him over 3 inches. He is eating enriched jumbo krill right now about 8 a day. Was just a little worried about over feeding.

Eventually this ray will reach 16" so you'll have to plan accordingly. At such a juvenile stage the preference is without sand so feeding can be observed and without chancing irritation until the animal reaches a more mature stage. Anyways, since it's already in it will make feeding obervations more tedious. These rays tend to eat small amounts of food constantly throughout the day so 2-3 feeding periods might be adequate at 1.5% it's body weight per week to start out. Monitor rations closely and look for signs of tiredness while feeding as its aggresiveness while feeding will taper off. Since you can't look at thr amdomen, pay attention to the back area behind the gills for plumpness (good) or emaciation (bad). The center ridge (midline tubercles) located just behind the back area leading down the tail and the pelvic area will begin to appear thin and bony in emaciated rays. Feed cut earthworms, krill (frozen), clam meat (frozen cubes), crab meat, mysis, shrimp, and offer marine fish (frozen). You can add vitamins supplementation and/or try Mazuri vitamin fortified gel (they make elasmobranch versions).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom