Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Stingray Feeding?

OK first, I am new to forums, and a growing satt water tank hobbiest.

We have gotten a very healthy beautiful stingray (cortez stingray). He is healthy and happy in the tank plenty of swimming room etc.
I do wonder how much feeding is good. He is asking I meaning really wanting to be feed! Twice a day about four little shrimp, and he is a baby in size. Just little worried about over feeding. Helpful insist is welcome.

Waites03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
when u say plenty of swimming room what do u mean, how big is ur tank? rays need a big tank with a 3 inch sand bed to cover themselfs in. as for feeding i would feed pemysis shrip in a 1 inch x 1 inch squre depending on its size and as it grows u increase the amount till it is big enough to eat squid and krill but make shure u add all the good stuff to its food like amino omega and all the right vitamiins for him.

rob_mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
He is about 2 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch round the whole tank is his and plenty of sand for him over 3 inches. He is eating enriched jumbo krill right now about 8 a day. Was just a little worried about over feeding.
Waites03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would PM innovator. He is usually good about questions like this.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Eventually this ray will reach 16" so you'll have to plan accordingly. At such a juvenile stage the preference is without sand so feeding can be observed and without chancing irritation until the animal reaches a more mature stage. Anyways, since it's already in it will make feeding obervations more tedious. These rays tend to eat small amounts of food constantly throughout the day so 2-3 feeding periods might be adequate at 1.5% it's body weight per week to start out. Monitor rations closely and look for signs of tiredness while feeding as its aggresiveness while feeding will taper off. Since you can't look at thr amdomen, pay attention to the back area behind the gills for plumpness (good) or emaciation (bad). The center ridge (midline tubercles) located just behind the back area leading down the tail and the pelvic area will begin to appear thin and bony in emaciated rays. Feed cut earthworms, krill (frozen), clam meat (frozen cubes), crab meat, mysis, shrimp, and offer marine fish (frozen). You can add vitamins supplementation and/or try Mazuri vitamin fortified gel (they make elasmobranch versions).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Pics of the ray please, i love them!
55G Long Reef
SnowZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
You still did not say the size of your tank?

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

feeding, sting, stingray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com