Strange Clownfish Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added 2 O. Clownfish to my tank and they initially swam all around the tank exploring everything. Yesterday, however, they decided that they really liked a patch of macro-algae in the corner of the tank and have hid there ever since. Sometimes one of them comes out and patrols the area immediately surrounding the algae, but they remain completely hidden from view otherwise. Is this normal? Do they think it's an anemone? Are they breeding so soon?
img_825509_0_bcae2e2586602e2bb830ff5b91b535e1.jpg

They have claimed an area. That does not mean they will be breeding soon. Just that they have homesteaded ;)

How strange...

You would think that if you lived in a 40 gallon tank you'd want to swim in an area larger than 1 gallon ;)

Agree with Hara. They stay close to home, when they decide where that is.

I'm guessing these are the first fish in your tank. If/when you add some more fish, they'll probably come out and wander more. Mine did.

Yeah, they are alone in the tank right now. I plan on adding some chromis in the future. They school nicely and I hear they get along well with clowns.

Chromis are not the best choice in your situation. Generally chromis should be kept singly or in groups of 5 or more. If not, the smallest/weakest one will take all the aggression and die if not removed, until you eventually have 1 left. Having a group of 5 or more helps distribute the aggression and stress. That amount definitely would be pushing/exceeding the stocking limits of a 40 gal. HTH

PS- looks like your clowns are on their way to being a pair- Congrats.

Clowns will just about host anything. I have mine hosting a bubble coral and a hammer coral. Your clowns are just being clowns.

MT79 said:
Generally chromis should be kept singly or in groups of 5 or more. If not, the smallest/weakest one will take all the aggression and die if not removed, until you eventually have 1 left.

I know you said "generally", but just wanted to say that I've got 3 and everyone seems to be getting along fine. They've been together in a 10g QT for 1 month, and in my main now for 2 months (I think.) There was a pretty good size difference between the three to start with, and you're right... the biggest one picked on everyone else. But they're all about the same size now, and well... the biggest one STILL chases the others around from time to time, but no major aggression. Only one instance of a nip, and it healed quickly. Think it really depends on the personality of the fish.

Anyways... you won't need chromis to bring out your clownfish. Mine got more social when I put my Bangaii Cardnial in. The clown followed it around for days... it was pretty funny. They still go and visit each other pretty often in each other's corner. (The Bangaii adopted the opposite corner that the clown did!)

.. the biggest one STILL chases the others around from time to time, but no major aggression. Only one instance of a nip
No offense, but give it time. I did the same thing. I had three for about a year. There were no problems at first. After 9-12 months one started getting harassed by the other two for a few weeks before disappearing. I've had 2 left for probably a little over a year w/ no real problem- until about a month ago. Now the one, both are about the same size, can't come out even to eat w/out being harassed relentlessly. Luckily it can hide in an Acro colony, but I know how it will end in due time. It's losing color and weight, but I just can't catch it... It's not something I would do again or recommend. JME

Who knows it may work for you, best of luck.

Well, it appears that all wasn't well...

I woke up this morning to find that the one fish who stayed hidden the most had passed away. Maybe he was sick? He wasn't eating as much as the other fish. Oh well. RIP Sheldon...

Nothing extreme. A friend did comment that he looked a little lighter in color than the other one. But, I had a hard time seeing that myself. Since he hid so much I never really got to notice if there was anything unusual about his appearance.

Back
Top Bottom