sump filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dearthm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Got a new 6ft x 2 x 2 with 4 ft x 18 inch x 18 sump with 4 compartments. All my previous tanks have just used canister filters so just after some advice on what to usefor filtration in sump got sponges in compartment 1 sand bed with live rock in two nothing in three and skimmer and return in 4.

Any thoughts on what i got so far and what to add take away. this was whats the guy i bought it off was running he also had noodles and bits of pipe in with sponge but i took them out. Thanks

I would put some algae in both compartments and put a light over it. As for sponge material- I wouldn't use any. This will need to be cleaned regularly. Instead I would use a filter sock. Something that you could change out on a regular basis, quite easily.

Filter Socks are a great way to go. +1

I would put some algae in both compartments and put a light over it. As for sponge material- I wouldn't use any. This will need to be cleaned regularly. Instead I would use a filter sock. Something that you could change out on a regular basis, quite easily.

I use one sponge in my last baffle with the hopes to catch snails and caulerpa before going into my last return compartment and going into the DT. I've always wondered if my last sponge stops pods from going into the DT, too (hope not).

But yes, I would go with filter socks as most use other people do.

I have a question also. Should you skim at the beginning or the end? I have seen it set up both ways and am curious what the advantages are of each. Do you want to skim water before or after it goes through the sump?

I would skim at the beginning because I wouldn't want any pods to have to go through the skimmer before they are sent to the display. they already have to survive the return pump...

Plus, if you skim at the beginning- the microbubbles (if any) should dissipate some and won't flow like snow into your DT.

Hi thanks for reply. Which algae you suggest and in which compartment. Was thinking of moving the live rock inti chamber 3 and adding sone mangrove plants into 2 to help keep nitrate down as ive got a puffer and a trigger to go in there. Thanks got about 80 kg of live rock most in display and some in sump should this be enough thanks.

Mangroves aren't very efficient. I would use chaeto or caulerpa. I would put algae in both extra compartments if you have the room.

Ok great think i will rearange on weekend, do you suggest running lights 24/7 with cheato if so are some home made led stripes ok.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom