SW FINALLY getting started...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HalfMoon B said:
Is there a good salt mix that anyone recommends for FOWLR and for reef?

Is doesn't really matter, but you do have to stick with it for a while. You can't just randomly switch from Petco Brand to Instant Ocean.

I use instant ocean reef crystals. I happen to like them. But everyone has a preference kinda like what you like on your hot dogs, mustard, ketchup or onions etc....None are wrong but all get the job done.
:)

Instant ocean I can get anywhere, thankfully, and the 160 gal bucket is only $40.
Now... 50 lbs of sand should give me a 2" sand bed, but should I get an extra 20 lbs and make it 3"?
And since the 40b has no center brace, is rock work safe directly on the glass?

I now have to go and find a faucet adapter, grrr.....
Update: 6 stores and I FINALLY found one! Now to test it out!

Last edited:
So. Planned stock list time.
2 black ocellaris
3-5 chromis. And/or
3-5 cardinals
Purple/yellow fire fish
MAYBE a blenny
Hermit crabs, astra snails, nassarius snails, nerite snails, cleaner shrimp (getting the 20L package from reefcleaners)

Obviously if I do both chromis and cardinals, I will do 3 of each instead of 5, unless the tank would handle 5 of each...?

Look okay?

Um I would go with 3 chromis and 2 cardinals and 1 firefish. Then see how it goes from there :) good CUC choice.

Refractometer was finally delivered...wish I knew it was coming from Hong Kong BEFORE I ordered.
And having a heck of a time with this RO unit finding the correct attachment. One is on it's way *crosses fingers*
Just ordered 50 lbs dead rock, and will be picking up 10 lbs live rock locally...
Still have plenty of ammonia left over to cycle, and will be getting aragonite sand after the rock arrives. Seems like things are finally starting to dome together.

Greenturtle said:
Um I would go with 3 chromis and 2 cardinals and 1 firefish. Then see how it goes from there :) good CUC choice.

So i will hold off on the cardinals and for now do the clown pair, 3 chromis, and a fire fish.

Look up "Zebra Dartfish". They have the exact same care requirements as the firefish but IMO look cooler. I have one in QT right now :)

For free shipping I thought why not. What else am I going to spend my recent work bonus on? Lol
At least and my dry rock is finally on the way... *impatience*

Refractor arrived! So did the correct RODI coupler.
*squeal*
so excited. Can't wait for the rock and wave maker to arrive this week!!

Back
Top Bottom