SW FINALLY getting started...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bear with me here...
Picked up a 40 gal breeder at the $1 per gallon sale. I am wanting this to START as a FOWLR, but I may move to corals later... so I am keeping that in mind with equipment...
right now I have, the tank, 40 pounds argonite sand, 25 lbs base rock (will be getting more base, and seeding with LR.
RO DI unit on the way. Picked up two smaller heaters, both capable of keeping the tank at a steady 78 degrees.
I have already a 36 zoo med dual bulb t5 HO light that is 39w/bulb (should be enough for MOST corals in the future, no?)

I also have a 20 gal long that I can convert to a sump/fuge if i need to, and an aquaclear 50 HOB filter.

The rest of my shopping list is this:
HOB skimmer, 2 Korali 2 (240 GPH) powerheads, another 25 lbs base rock, and 10 lbs live rock.
anything else I should consider picking up before getting started, and is a fuge on this set up absolutely necessary at this time?

Thanks all!

I would up the powerheads to 425's. :) The 240's are really weak in my opinion.

Another great item to get is a refractometer

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Much more accurate than the swing arm salinity hydrometers.

With a 40g it;s your call whether to set up a sump or not. A 20l in a good length though, you can have your skimmer section, fuge and the reutrn section. That is if you can fit it under your stand. ;-)

Totally forgot about the refractometer, thank you Carey! And I thought you wanted 10x turnover rate total, not powerhead, good to know, will up those then!

I beleive most people go with 10 X for fish only and up to 30 X for coral. I am also notorious for over doing it with flow, but to no detriment so far.

I ordered two 425's for my new 20g and i think that will be adequate. Plus you include the filter turnover rate as well. :)

Hrmmmm, 30 for corals? Seems REALLY strong. All righty then. Two if the 400s. And sump TBD at a later date if necessary, won't be hard to convert, I have seen more setups than I know at this point.

It's all a matter of the direction of the flow, you wouldnt put a coral directly in front of 425 gph flow but aim them at each other to create a chaotic flow so that every place in your tank is getting proper flow and there are no dead spots for things to accumulate.

Good to know. I am going to bite the bullet and get another 50 lbs base rock from reef cleaners so I can really scape the way that I want. Already have an idea of how I want it to look.....

Sand is waiting, tank is waiting, RO/DI, power heads, on the way...
I hate the waiting. Anticipation is getting to me :)

Last edited:
HalfMoon B said:
1-2 black ocellaris, 3 chromis, MAYBE 1 fire fish, and inverts.
No corals....YET

It seems like you can have a fire goby AND a small other fish, like a gramma, blenny, cardinalfish, or something of that nature. I love my 3 chromis, keep those on the list! I promise they are worth it!

I would get the CUC from reefcleaners.org but if you get a quick crew, get one for 20 gallons LOL they put a ton more animals than you need in those boxes.

That is what I keep hearing! I was thinking a few astrea snails, shrimp, and a blue legged hermit or 2?

Click on it. Usually dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, nassarius snails, nerite snails, and assorted hermit crabs.

Greenturtle said:
Click on it. Usually dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, nassarius snails, nerite snails, and assorted hermit crabs.

The only things I can find are build your own, and the the algae/detritus pack... Oh well..

It's really just preference - none seem better than the others. I along with quite a few on here use Instant Ocean - and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Back
Top Bottom