SW noob... Are nano cubes a good starting SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had FW tanks for years, i currently have a 75g rainbow fish tank that i want to convert to SW in a year and a half when i move... in the mean time i wanted to start out with something to get experience with SW tanks. I figure its cheaper if something goes wrong in a 12-20g tank compared to a 75 gallon tank.

How hard would if be for someone that is good with FW to run to a smaller SW tank?k i always hear bigger is easier, but how much of that is true?

My first saltwater was a 55g. After switching to a 210g I was quite surprised as to how much less work it was to keep parameters at the ideal levels. If something goes wrong it takes much longer for the whole tank to be effected in a larger tank. The cost of fixing things in a 20g vs. a 75g aren't going to be that different, but it will be a lot easier and less time sensitive to fix something in a larger tank.

The larger the better for begginer tanks. Small tanks are not as forgiving should parameters go arry. I would suggest no smaller than a 29 gallon for starters. 55 would be even better.

They aren't not-doable but definitley much much harder. A 75 gallon would be a perfect size to start with, and plus if you start with a 75 gallon you won't have to go buy equipment twice, once for the nano and again for the 75.

Another question.... What kind of set up would i need to convert my 75g? Im not going to impulse buy, im just trying to plan ahead. I have 2 HOB filters which i doubt i will need since i am going with live rock. I have good lighting & heating. will i need a protein skimmer and anything else? I plan on starting with out coral, then maybe getting some coral when i get some experience.

A PS while not required is a very good choice. Assuming the 75 is not pre-drilled you will need to get or make an overflow to feed the ps. This is assuming you will have a sump a/o fuge below the tank

Your lighting will probably be fine for FOwLR. What is your current light setup? You will probably have to replace it when you want to add corals.

You will need test kits for ph, Ammonia (NH3), Nitrite (NO2) and Nitrate (NO3) and possibly PO4. Others such as Ca and Mg when you want to corals. I would suggest a refractometer for Specific Gravity (SG).

A RODI unit for filling the tank and make up water is a great investment.

Reading the Articles and asking lots of questions before you make a final decision or buy anything.

A QT setup so you don't add any nasties to your new tank after it cycles.

Let me think back on the other mistakes I made and I might have more for you.

BTW, after more than 10 years in FW I started SW with a 125 gallon and I'm very glad I did. But, the bigger the tank the more everything costs...

I always say you need to start with at least a 55 gallon tank but that is JMO. I say start with the bigger tank and then do the nano tank once you get the basics down.

Back
Top Bottom