Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tang swimming head down help

I woke up this morning to find my tang swimming with his tail up and his head down. He keeps going down in a repeating motion. Its acting like it vant reach the bottom, and he is going in circles. What is this and can I fix it.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Test your water params and rule that out first. It could be anything from an intestinal blockage, a parasite infection, bacterial infection or swimmer bladder disease. Even just a goofy acting tang....

If you fear disease I would move to QT as soon as possible, further diagnose and begin treatment there.

IMO

Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

All my water levels are normal except the nitrates are a little high. How do i figure out if its parasites, bladder problems etc. Are these treatable.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

All treatable I believe though diagnosis will be difficult. Has he been eating? Getting lots of veggies? Is his stomach bloated or sunken?

Are you testing for things outside of PH, Amm, Nitrite, Nitrate. What's a little high? >40 ? and what's normal?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

He has been eating, even while acting like this. He gets plenty of dried seaweed sheets, and i also feed him formula 2 and spectrum. He occasionally eats meatier foods such as mysis and brine shrimp. his belly is not sunken, He looks fat and healthy to me but he could be bloated. The nitrates are at ten and as we speak I am changing about 30 gallons of water in the tank. (75 gallon tank). Nitrates are usually at 0.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I seriously doubt nitrates at 10 are an issue, this is coming from someone how routinely hovers in the 30-40 range. Delicate question but how's the poo looking? Getting above my pay grade here.. Never had an internal fish issue before.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #7

umm I'm not really sure how the poo looks, my guess would be normal?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, if it's an 'internal' issue, it will sometimes manifest itself through a variation in that area if you get my drift. Break out the rubber gloves Doctor, you're going in !
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Well after my large water change, the tang seems to be swimming more horizontally than vertically. I still believe that he is not completely better yet, since he still seems to be a tad off balance. I think if i keep doing water changes once a day he will get better, but I am still open to all advice so dont be shy.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
is back to save the day!

I would still go with the whole QT tank thing. Figure out whats wrong with him. Dont let it go because is you just pass it off, it could mean the death of him later on.

Tags
swimming, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com