Tanks gone bonkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again. My sisters and stepdaugher have been taking care of my tank for the past 2 months, while I've been in and out of the hospital. Well they only fed the fish and didn't do any water changes. so I've got several things I need help on. First I have multiple colored algaes in my tank. I have a maroon algae, a bright green algae, a black algae, and a type of algae that is a dark color and has bubbles. What do I do?

Without a pic, I would guess cyano and dinos......caused by excessive nutrients. Do you use RO/DI water?
I suggest siphoning out as much as you can while doing some 20% pwc's every few days. Running some gfo to remove phosphates and silicates would probably help alot too.

I agree, PWCs will get you back in shape in no time.

Sounds like corraline algea , and unwanted algea mixed , is it hard or soft and slimmy?
Are the fish in any disstress?
What size tank is this and do you have a skimmer and powerheads?

Sounds like corraline algea , and unwanted algea mixed , is it hard or soft and slimmy?
Are the fish in any disstress?
What size tank is this and do you have a skimmer and powerheads?
tank 003.jpgtank 001.jpgtank 003.jpgtank 004.jpg
Heres my specs
Tank Marineland Flat back Hex 18 gal 24" L x 12" W x16" T

Lighting/Hood Marineland 60hz 50wt\TT Floresent

Filters Whisper 10-30i with biofilter
Biopro SK-40 airdriven Protein Skimmer (they removed
at one point but now running)
Live sand 20 lbs
appx 2 lbs live rock (had ten but they thought it was dead
and disposed of alot of it)

Heater UL 100 watt

Powerhead Zoomed power sweep 30 gal wt prefilter (rotating)

Attachments

• tank 002.jpg
    tank 002.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 51
tank 005.jpgtank 006.jpgtank 007.jpg

Ok these are the best pics I can get. I've checked the water prams and temp.

Temp is 85
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
PH 8.4

The CBS and damsel seem to be doing fine. Is there any thing that I can get to help keep the algae down.

The algae is soft but hard to remove. The bubbles I already removed and it was slimy. I like the red algae so if its safe I'll keep it.

Last edited:
The algae is soft but had to remove. The bubbles I already removed and it was slimy. I like the red algae so if its safe I'll keep it.

It`s not that unsafe but it will over run your tank and have it looking unsightly. Just read that article I gave you. It has a great and proven battle plan on algea.

Ok I've scrubbed the algae off. Now The only invert I have is a cbs any sugestions on what kind of cleaning crew I need?

melous58,
Thank you so much. I went to the lfs today, and they didn't have any snails or crabs. They suggested a chocolate chip starfish, When I looked at them one looked like it was eating a fish, and I've learned my lesson on buying from them without checking out things first. In addition to what you suggested, would any of these be advisable: a neon goby, scooter blenny, serpant star, or a sallylight foot. Also would these be compatible with my CBS, damsel and clown.

The chocolate chip star is not coral or anenome safe so if you plan on having corals then you should skip the CC star. I`ve had a salley light foot crab several times and they were excellent janitors in my tank but I have heard others say they had one that was aggressive with other fish. I never saw that with mine but I dont want to discount the experience of others. IMO they are great janitors and reef safe to boot. As far as a goby if you are talking about the 46 gallon tank a bullet goby would be a good clean up crew member. They spend all day sifting and keep your sand pretty clean. I have a black sailfin Blenny and they are good additions because they pick at the rock keeping it clean. Mine in the pic is 8 yrs old. Never had a scooter, Sorry. I`ve heard mixed results with the serpant stars. Some have had no problem with them while others have had them go after small fish. Here are some more links on those I mentioned.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Bullet Goby"

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Black Sailfin Blenny,Brown Coral Blenny"

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Sally Lightfoot Crab"

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Fancy Red Serpent Star"

Sorry I forgot the cc star.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Chocolate Chip Seastar"

Back
Top Bottom