Temp swings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my heater set to 79 in my tank. During the day the water gets up to 80.5, and when wake up in the morning it will be down to 78.5. Are these temp fluctuations bad, or no because they essentially take 10 hours to get to where they are?

You wanna keep all temp swing within 2 degrees but obviously less is better :)

Ok... I think my lights are warming it up. My condo is set at 75, so I don't know why the water would hit 80.5... Now what's the lowest a FOWLR temp should be? I was thinking about setting it at 77 or 78?

It depends on the fish being kept for what temperature is best but my air temperature in my apt is 68 and can see temps up to 81 in my tank. Every pump in your tank creates heat as does water movement and especially the lights lol

I don't keep a heater. My apt is small so keeping consistent temps is very easy lol my normal swing is 78.5 in the am and 79.5 mid day but like I Said my apt is 67-68 so It's chilly without a shirt on haha

I'm probably just gonna go get a lil 100w to stop that 1-2 degree swing this weekend though been putting it off for like 5-6 months now since it hasn't been an issue but now that I've finished most of everything its time to perfect what's left :)

Get a little fan to get air moving across the top of the water. I've got a chiller , but have heard that those $10 fans can keep temps down by a few degrees.

An electric fan? Are there any real small ones that won't stick out like a sore thumb?

I've seen people with the 6"-7" clip on fans that they sell at places like WalMart. Not attractive, but apparently do the trick. Ive seen nicer looking setups on eBay with multiple little black fans. Look nice, but are more expensive. My LFS had a fancier setup that looked more like a black box on one of their nano tanks. Not sure if they make them for larger tanks though. Not sure on cost either, just kinda saw it when i was walking in. I'm sure someone else can jump in with more detail...

Back
Top Bottom