Tempered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Dumb question... If a tank has a tempered bottom, I know I can't drill it. But am I still good to drill the sides/back?

I would be willing to bet that if the bottom is tempered then the sides are tempered as well.

A lot of tanks are tempered bottoms only. You can check with the manufacturer or use polorarized glasses or something like that to check. Google search how to check if its tempered and there is two ways I've heard of. Certain glasses and monitors will appear different through tempered glass.

Well the aqueon website says "Tempered Bottom" and is Yes for the 75, but doesn't say about the sides or back. Maybe I'll call them up...

Thoughts? Here's one for ya... Called Aqueon cuts serv to ask if the tank was tempered on the sides/back. The rep said they are produced with ONLY tempered bottoms, but there's no way for her to confirm that?? What is that crap? Why even tell me any info at all if you're just going to tell me I have to bring it somewhere to have it looked at. The woman was nice, but give me a break... Aqueon should have this info available, after all it's THEIR product...

I was worried about my 65 gallon tank when i drilled it.. The bottom said tempered glass, but that was all.. Non tempered glass will have a greenish look to it, if you just look at the sides of it.. Tempered glass looks gray..obviously you cant look at the sides of the bottom of the tank, but you can see all the rest of the edges of the tank.. I also just used a polarized pair of sunglasses and a laptop to double check the glass i was going to drill.
Here is a link on how to check the glass

How to tell if glass is tempered.

Now that i have done this once, i will never have a problem in figuring out if its tempered or not.. i can just tell by looking at the color of the glass now but this laptop/glasses test just confirmed it for me.. Good Luck

Seriously Huma?? I couldn't get a straight answer from the manufacturer 8-/

Benamayer said:
Seriously Huma?? I couldn't get a straight answer from the manufacturer 8-/

I deal with them everyday. Ive seen numerous customer-drilled tanks. Plus as others mentioned theres other ways to tell if glass is tempered

Yea I'll have to check it out... I'm bringin it to get drilled and figure out the sump situation soon. Getting excited about it for sure :cool:

Back
Top Bottom