Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking about getting sea horses

Hey everyone I recently drained my freshwater tank and gave away my fish and I'm gonna fill it with nice white sand and saltwater I have a 80 gallon reef tank setup already so I know the basics and stuff about letting the tank cycle before I add anything
So I'm gonna set it up and let it run for a couple months then was thinking about gettin a couple seahorses
The tank is 30 gallons is that big enough?
I was hoping someone could send me to a site that I can read up on owning them as pets Nd what I need to know first
Any info is much appreciated
Thanks very much

Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
They say a good stardard is 15 gallons to each SH. Here is my diary when I had mine.

Melosu58`s seahorse diary

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have the tank filled now and it's running
I have sand substrate and a filter and a heater running
I put a small chunk of live rock from my big tank and I found a guy on kijiji in my city sellin 35lbs for $30 so I'm gonna get that hopefully
I checked my ammonia today and it was at 1ppm so I'll do a water change tomorrow and prolly every second day or so
The filter I have is a tetra whisper ex or something
The reason I went with that as opposed to a aquaclear filter is cuz this one won't make bubbles in the water
Oh and I also put a hermit crab and a snail in there to do a bit of cleaning
Should I have two crabs in there to keep eachother company ? Or does it matter?
Any suggestions r appreciated
Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote

sea, sea horse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com