Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, that sucks! At least you got paid.

Good luck with the new tank! Keep us posted!

It will break even for the new tank I am looking at, but I will be having to rent a U- Haul, so it will cost me money. I just did not want to push this guy too much. He is young and starting his own business, so I tried to be fair.

I'm hoping to start a "Round Two" thread soon...

if you want to do a repair it's really not too difficult, you just have to take off the front pane and put a new one on.

I can tell you how to do it if you want, I'd even ship you the proper sealant if you can't find any.

Thanks Audi, but I think I am just going to grab a used tank. I've heard from a couple places that for larger tanks, it is not wise to just change out one panel, but to redo the whole thing, so that it is all the same. I think if I did it, I would never sleep well. :) I've got one that I am going to look at this Saturday. Hopefully it works out, as seeing the empty and cracked tank is depressing.

I ended up getting the 240g today. I will get pictures up tomorrow, but it is a LeeMar custom with euro-bracing, beveled edges, two outlets up top and two down lower with a center overflow.

Now for the fun part, which I got pictures of. Bet nobody has loaded a tank like this...

image-1321822513.jpg

image-3897443184.jpg

image-3945060322.jpg

This tank was on a metal stand. We got it right up to the the tailgate of my brother-in-laws truck and we lifted it slightly using his shop lift. I backed up, pushing the stand with the tailgate (in case one of the straps broke, the tank would either hit the stand or the bed). It worked like a charm...effortless, unless you count mental stress, which was insanely high. :) Yes, that is a classic '50-something MG up on the top of the shop lift.

Hoping to get this in the house tomorrow...

I'm more interested in the car than the tank lol!

He actually had another MG that he pulled outside ('57 convertible) and a third that was in pieces all over his shop...literally engine here, frame over there, fenders with other stuff...his shop looked like something from American Pickers. Motorcycle stuff everywhere and a lot of aquarium stuff too (300g tank setup that his reef club uses for Reefapalooza, multiple chillers, skimmers, light setups, etched). It was interesting.

He actually had another MG that he pulled outside ('57 convertible) and a third that was in pieces all over his shop...literally engine here, frame over there, fenders with other stuff...his shop looked like something from American Pickers. Motorcycle stuff everywhere and a lot of aquarium stuff too (300g tank setup that his reef club uses for Reefapalooza, multiple chillers, skimmers, light setups, etched). It was interesting.

So there is a heaven then huh? ^_^

We got the cracked tank out (in one piece) and the new one in. I've started the plumbing, but need a few pieces for the return lines. Probably going to get finished Tuesday and work on cleaning this thing up tonight.

image-2491468918.jpg

image-3237176714.jpg

image-2793313880.jpg

image-2607348751.jpg

I love the center overflow look!!

I think I will like it better than the corners.

I need to figure out the return plumbing. It has two up top and two down lower. The lower ones should be good to keep flow behind the rock, but that has me with four lines going into the tank from one return pump (a Rio 26 HF - rated for 1594 GPH). I'm almost considering just hooking up the ones up top to that and possibly get a second return pump later for the lower two. I think splitting it four ways will not leave much power going out.

image-574698761.jpg

image-879212009.jpg

image-2156212964.jpg

I'm still scrapping off the black paint from the side panel too.

How did the other guys do it? Wouldn't one of those massive pond pumps do the trick for all 4 at once?

I'm not sure...he had sand and rock in it, but it looked like he did not have a sump or even skimmer hooked up. He even mentioned that he had never figured out exactly how he was going to do it. It looked like he just had a couple power heads going. A big pump probably would work, but I was hoping to use what I have for now.

I think I may go with the two top ones running off my Rio for now and then add another return pump to get the lowers going somewhere down the road. I will just look for a good Craigslist deal. I have two Koralias that I can aim lower on the tank for now.

why not run 2 of them with your rio return pump, and make the other 2 a closed loop system? that way youll still be utilizing them to for flow, but wont have to worry about plumbing them to a sump/refugium

Back
Top Bottom