Total Newbie - All Advice Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlevelomni

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there ... we're total newbies to the SW arena. We keep a 60 Gal planted FW Gourami tank, and a 30 Gal community tank - but haven't delved into SW - until now.

We've got a 60 GAL tank ready and waiting to start its SW life. We're looking for information on the following:

- Lighting
- Sand / LR recommendations
- Starter Fish (after the fishless cycle)

We've read about (and agree with) the fishless cycle, so we'll be doing that. Right now, we're not sure if we want to have just Fish and Live Sand, or if we want to go ahead and buy LR now as well, with the option to add coral to it later.

If we do sand only, what are the lighting requirements? For FOWLR?

Would it be good to get a protein skimmer now? Or wait?

What types of powerheads would you recommend for a 60 GAL tank?

We've got a RENA XP2 canister filter that we're going to be using as well.

ALL opinions are welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good book to have during this time as you ponder your options.

And of course, welcome to AA.

I believe you'll want to start your cycle with sand and rock. You can save some money by mixing live and base rock. In some months you won't be able to tell the difference.

You will want coral down the road I'll bet, so consider buying lights just once - saving/waiting for light to support corals.

Good starter fish include clowns (a pair), gobies, chromis, blennies (not all at once of course).

I know nothing about canister filters, but I seem to hear folks recommend skimmers instead. Bak pak and Aqua C remora get good reviews.

What part of the country you in?

WELCOME TO SW!!!

We've read about (and agree with) the fishless cycle, so we'll be doing that.

Woohoo!!

If we do sand only, what are the lighting requirements? For FOWLR?

IMO LR and LS are great ways to help with bio filtration. They will contain beneficial bacteria. LR gives your critters a place to hide. This is the lighting I have and love it:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/Produc...es/T1/F38EX+0434+0111/EDP/47986/Itemdy00.aspx
Like austinsdad stated, if you are planning on going with corals, later, you may want to ask about that type of lighting.

Would it be good to get a protein skimmer now? Or wait?

This generally depends. Some people swear by them especially for reef tanks. I have a FOWLR and don't use one. If money is an issue, some say you can hold off, until you can afford one. I don't know anything about FW, but in SW it is best not to skimp on the equipment.

What types of powerheads would you recommend for a 60 GAL tank?

I use two of these:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/Produc...ads/T1/F64AX+0171+0267/EDP/9486/Itemdy00.aspx
My canister, fluvial 304, has an output as well.

As foir starter fish, austinsdad had some good ones and one that you probably will keep, long term. I have a bunch of damsels, that I am finding hard to take back....LOL!

Oh yeah, sand. Most people use aragonite sand, I think one brand name is Carib-Sea. I wouldn't spend my money on Live Sand (it is the sand that has water in the bag). Just get the dry stuff. I you are lucky, you might be able to fins tropical playsand that is aragonite (not silical based) at HD or Lowes or Wal-Mart...

Back
Top Bottom