Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm honestly not sure. The heavy metals thing absolutely makes some sense, but Prime states that it detoxifies heavy metals. I would guess that water changes take some of that out. I am just stating what I have experienced and seen with others. Even Mr X on here says he uses tap in his reef and he seems to have extremely healthy corals. I know that runs contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, but he sure seems to know what he 'a doing.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Again thanks Todd
I would have to agree with you, the tapwater does seem to spike by district and doing a lot of water changes to tank should help keep it stable! Just trying to piece together another part of the 125 g puzzle
Ps If it's good enough for X it's good enough for me

Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Using tap water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I could not remember, so just checked... Attachment 212741

I use Prime to treat my tap water.

That's what mine tests at. I would never add water with that much dissolved material in it. RO/DI will certainly reduce startup issues. TheTodd, are you using tap water?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I'm honestly not sure. The heavy metals thing absolutely makes some sense, but Prime states that it detoxifies heavy metals. I would guess that water changes take some of that out. I am just stating what I have experienced and seen with others. Even Mr X on here says he uses tap in his reef and he seems to have extremely healthy corals. I know that runs contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, but he sure seems to know what he 'a doing.
I didn't say I use tap in MY reef....I said the owner of a tank I maintain forces me to use tap. Yes, the corals are healthy in there, but it's up to the municipality. If your water is not as good as the water going in the tank I maintain, it may not work for you.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the misquote...I thought you had said you used tap to top off.

I do agree that a lot depends on where you are and how the water is. I would not use tap on a reef, but have used it on past FOWLRs with no problems except maybe some algae at startup. The fish took care of that quickly though. I filled my 240g with tap, but will be using the RO system, that the tank came with, for future water changes.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Test your tap for nitrates and phosphates and ideally copper before using. If the levels are 0 measured with a standard aquarium kit I would use it.

Also is it treated with chloramines? If so I would consider it a no go.

As for top off, use distilled or RO water. But occasional or emergency tap water top off is ok.

Don't forget to treat the water first with a salt mix that contains detoxifiers or with prime.

As for water changes the principle is the replacement water as to be cleaner than the tank water... So measure levels in the tank and your tap water ( they can change throughout the year) often to make sure water changes are actually helping.

I am using tap for water change and managed to improve my tank nitrates and phosphate levels significantly over the last few months.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Why take the risk? I have thousands in coral that I won't trust to the local water company. Tap water can change expectantly. Each to their own I guess.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com