What can I keep in my FOWR tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can have my LR, fish, an anemone when my tank matures. Can I also have small inverts such as starfish and my inverts cleaning crews?

I may go out and get 5 lbs of LR today if I know everything will work out in my tank.

Depends on the type of fish you want to keep. I have a very aggressive tank, so I cant keep many inverts like crabs, shrimp or snails. I have never had any issues with starfish though. Guess they are too crunchy for my fish. Do your research on the fish you want to keep BEFORE you buy it.

ok, I updated my info. My bf just got another crab, mithrax? and some small snails to clean the tank. I need more clean up crew though..brown algae all over.

FishFrik and your Tangs!

Actually that is a decent list FF!

Thanks for the advice FF.

So what about a clown to start with, (something that will one day except anemone)

2 tangs(not yellow please..what kind?)

maybe a foxface

coral beauty or other 'easy' angelfish

with my numerous cleaners such as mithrax crab, hermit crab, snails and cleaner shrimp?

All of my sea creatures love my small piece of LR so far. They are all hanging on it!

All of my sea creatures love my small piece of LR so far. They are all hanging on it!

You will want to get more LR. For hiding places and biological filtration.

Im assuming that you are going to go reef later on since you said you want an anemone? If so, IMO, it's not worth it to risk your corals w/ angels. They are a 50% chance of nipping/eating your corals.

Did you look at the Tangs sections on the sites i gave you? Kole, Purple, Blue are my favorites

You can add 2 clownfish to your list too. Percula is always everyone's favorite

Hi again,

Yes, I looked at the list of tangs, thank you. :) I will look at the kole and the blue, since some suggested purple are too aggressive.

I do not know if I am going to go into a reef tank. I do know that I want more live rock and an anemone for my clown/s. I also heard that the flame angelfish is easy to care for, as well as the coral beauty.

If I do get two clowns, they have to be sold together or a male,female pair right? Are there any kinds that will almost definatly accept an anemone?

If you want a mated pair, get 2 juvenile clowns of a same species. They will fight at first to decide which one is stronger, which will turn into the female of the pair, but no biggy. I don't know which kind is most readily to accept an anemone, sorry.

Purple tang is a stunning fish. If you want to get it, just make sure it is the last tang added to the tank

HTH

You should get a small fairy parrot wrasse.Then just buy a bigger tank in a year or so_Or like fishfrik said a purple tang they are dope.

Percula is always everyone's favorite

Not everyone's, I love the yellow stripe maroons.

If I do get two clowns, they have to be sold together or a male,female pair right?

Clowns will be the same sex, as FF said. One will become larger and female, the smaller, male. As far as I know, clowns will host an anenmoe, but this is not always the case. Sometime, they just don't do it, and other time, they take a long time to host. There are certain anenmoes that clowns will not host, because they are from different oceans and are not seens in nature. I believe the Atlantic anenmoes will not (but possibly can) host a clown.

checkout the divers den on liveaquaria.com there are two of the coolest clowns ever.You guys can acctualy get them.I cant cause I live in canada.I want the whitleys boxfish on there more than winning the lotto.No joke.

LOL! $499.99 for a clown. That is quite the investment!

Hi everyone,

Here is my update. I got 15 more lbs of LR, so far. It has some stuff growing on it already! A tiny piece of purple coral, some bubbly covering stuff, something that looks like flat Goniopora Coral??,(both greenish white) and some algae

I want to make sure this stuff continue to grows..hmmm...any hints?

I have a mithrax crab, large hermit, 3 tiny tiny hermits, and maybe 12 snails in various sizes. 4 damsels. Had a shrimp but he is missing...

Everything is good except the nitrite is STILL too high, its been about 4 weeks since its been cycling.

Brown algae on the bottom..hard to get rid of with just snails and tiny little hermits.

Everything sound normal?

I want to make sure this stuff continue to grows..hmmm...any hints?

Good water conditions will help.

Everything sound normal?

Pretty much, sounds like your cycle is almost over. You probably lost the shrimp due to the cycle...

It has some stuff growing on it already! A tiny piece of purple coral, some bubbly covering stuff, something that looks like flat Goniopora Coral??,(both greenish white) and some algae

Some pictures will definitely help ID'ing them

Back
Top Bottom