what is growing on my live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickster0620

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here and using a phone to navigate so please bear with me. I'm also new to saltwater and am probably the least desirable type of new member you get here. I rushed into getting a saltwater tank and figure I'll learn as I go. My live rock is sprouting little clear tube like plants can anyone tell me what they are? And more importantly do I want them?

Welcome to the forum. It's members like you that can benefit the most so when and if you have any questions feel free to ask and post pictures. Are you cycling your tank? Do you have fish? Size of tank, water readings stuff like that can be very useful. :)

I am cycling the tank. This of my first ever attempt at salt water. I am going with a fowlr setup but need more LR. I have a 75 gal tank with two otb filters and a canister to soon be added. Twin bulb t5 light w/ 2 - 28w bulbs (10,000k daylight/actinic-03) and five led night lights. Crushed coral for substrate. 4 pieces of LR probably 15lbs. And started with 5 damsels (because they said I should, "they" being the pet store that I bought my light from). My parameters are currently : specific gravity 1.025, Ph 8.4, kh 300, no-2 .5, no+3 20. Water temp is 78.6

I made the mistake of buying fish to early in cycle process. I was doing water changes everyday to keep fish healthy. All because I didn't know better. Doing a fishless cycle is less costly and fish wont suffer. Keep an eye on your paramaters and be prepared for the water changes when levels spike. Good luck with everything.

Also you are going to need more live rock. Or else your cycle time will take much longer. I believe you will need at least 1 pound per gallon.

Yeah I intend on picking up more live rock very soon (maybe even today). Can't do much about the damsels though. What can I expect to pay for live rock anyways?

I found most of mine on CL for $3 a lb. Came right outta a tank break down too so my cycle was almost non existent.

In a LFS it's usually $5-$8 a lb here in florida

I just picked up a nice Med rock with very nice pink, purple, and orange corraline on it for $15. Looked on CL before I left for the house though.

This probably won't answer your question, but you can't learn as you go with the saltwater hobby. You need to do your homework! You can't just rush into saltwater......sorry I didn't answer your question.

I admit that was my outlook in the beginning. I'll learn as I go. But I've had a change of heart and I'm not that far off now. Wish I had not bought the damsels yet but I did so gonna roll with it. I just need more LR and a chemical test kit so I can lose the strips. Other then that I've got what I need. Now its going to be about getting educated. Read, Read, Read. And I'll make better choices.

That's what my trusted fish dealer said. He told me to take them back or flush them. I said I wanted a lion fish and he said that would take care of them too. Awful expensive feeders.

Your "trusted fish dealer" said to flush the damsels? That guy's a jerk and doesn't give a crap about your tank; except for what else he can sell to you to flush. BTW, get rid of the crushed coral; too much waste gets trapped in it. Aragonite sand would be best.

Oh god, flushing a healthy fish is terrible! Would you like to be Flushed? Fish are living creatures too... I wouldn't flush them if I were you. But that's just me. I dont know why the guy at the lfs would say that!

I think we are all getting hung up on the wrong thing. He didn't really want me to flush the fish. He was just making a point that they were going to dominant the tank and that it was not the way to start a tank. The other store took advantage of the fact that I am not educated about saltwater aquariums. The worst part was I knew not to trust the store they have screwed friends of mine in the past with freshwater fish. Things that I wouldn't have fallen for. I was and am in over my head. Now I'm getting an education the situation sucks but I'm in it.

How does on replace the crushed coral with sand? I'm assuming that I need to catch the damsels and put them in another tank then start all over. That's not much of an option. All I've got is a 20 gal tank.

rickster, don't feel too badly...I am in the same situation as you are. I am a newbie, did lots of reading, but so much of the information was vague. I went to the only aquatic store within 50 miles, other than Petco and followed their advice. I started cycling my tank the last week of January with live rock and live sand. I brought in a water sample a week later and they told me that was the time to add the Damsels. I did not know what they were going to be put through and thought they were just the first members in the tank. Sadly, I did not find this site until 3 weeks in. The tank has been cycling for 6-7 weeks. No ammonia at all...My plan now is to briefly remove the live rock, catch the damsels and return them to the store. Then I'll add more live rock and do the fishless cycle. I truly wish I had found this site sooner, but it will all work out for both of us. Look into lots of different areas of this forum, there are sooo many smart people here!

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am certain that there's plenty of very smart people in this forum and also quite certain that I can and will learn a lot here. I'll admit that I have a strange personality. I think too many people took my comments the wrong way. I guess when you spend as much time in the company of "consumers" like I do at work you lose the ability to sugar coat things. I was not trying to bend anyone's 'fins'. Just looking for advice. Bought "saltwater aquariums for dummies" that is helping me understand what I did wrong also proving that I didn't do much right. I thought 'just add salt' ha! I am enjoying the never ending water changes. Might just buy some scuba gear and move right in with the damsels.

Back
Top Bottom