Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whats wrong with my lion?

So my lion fish has been a strange pale color for the last few days. He's been eating a little less but idk what the problem could be, nitrate level is around .25 so I'll have to do a few water changes this week. Any other suggestions? Heres a picture of him I know it's a little hard to tell but he is very pale compared to usual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1705119194.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	96672  

Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

I know that inverts contain a chemical in their shell that helps to brighten fishes colors. Have you been feeding him feeder goldfish? This could be a possible explanation.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Goldfish are not a good staple, but lions really dislike nitrites. I'd be willing to bet he would be better if you get these down to 0ppm.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

No he was on live ghost shrimp then I got him onto frozen krill I've never fed him anything else. Thank you for the replies I plan I'll do a very large water chance tomorrow to drop the levels as much as possible
Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure the problem, any other signs such as lesions or swelling (abdomen, peduncle)? Nitrites or nitrates shouldn't be an issue. Future ref. keep a variety of foods such as marine fish, shrimp, etc. How long you've had it?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #6

I had him for about two months. He was eating live ghost shrimp at first an on occasion. But mostly krill. I got home from work and he was dead :/
Old 05-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

So yeah I believe the problem was caused from a jaw fish I purchased a few days ago because my lemonpeel angel died after I got him after being in perfect health. Then the lion got sick and kicked the bucket, and now the jawfish himself is dead. Is there anyway I can remove this from my tank? Is it just a matter of time? All my snails and hermits are still fine
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is causing you to think the jawfish is at fault? Besdies fighting I'm not sure how the jawfish is at fault? Even if fighting took place, the lion and angel larger and more aggresive than the jawfish.

Also, with a reading of .25ppm nitrates, your water parameters seem fine. Water quality isn't the issue.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
What is causing you to think the jawfish is at fault? Besdies fighting I'm not sure how the jawfish is at fault? Even if fighting took place, the lion and angel larger and more aggresive than the jawfish.

Also, with a reading of .25ppm nitrates, your water parameters seem fine. Water quality isn't the issue.
I kind of disagree with the .25ppm. Everything I've read says that they are horrible with any trates in the water. Even minute amounts can hurt these guys.

With that said, I do not believe that was the cause of death, neither do I believe it is aggression. I'd be willing to bet there is some sort of contaminate in the water. Maybe some sort of oil as it floats and would hurt the fish, but may take longer to get to the inverts.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
I kind of disagree with the .25ppm. Everything I've read says that they are horrible with any trates in the water. Even minute amounts can hurt these guys.

With that said, I do not believe that was the cause of death, neither do I believe it is aggression. I'd be willing to bet there is some sort of contaminate in the water. Maybe some sort of oil as it floats and would hurt the fish, but may take longer to get to the inverts.
If this was ammonia or nitrite i'd agree with you. Nitrates below 5ppm is pretty good is pretty decent even in reef tanks.

If there is a contaminant in the water, inverts are usually the first to go. They are much more intolerant of chemicals and poor water parameters.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com