Why is ammonia showing!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I use my own RO water and use red sea coral pro salt. I tested my newly made water just before a water change to find that the ammonia is showing at 0.25ppm to 1.00ppm. So I then tested the RO water on its own before the salt was mixed, which showed zero.

I have done this a couple of times now and once the salt is mixed there is ammonia showing on the test. I thought maybe it's the test kit, but to eliminate that instead of my API kit, I got a red sea test kit which also shows ammonia in the water.

The red sea salt bucket clearly says No ammonia/No nitrate etc. So I'm now confused on this entire ordeal and I am wondering if any of you out there have experienced anything like this.

Thanks and any replies are much appreciated.

Johnny107 said:
Hi, I use my own RO water and use red sea coral pro salt. I tested my newly made water just before a water change to find that the ammonia is showing at 0.25ppm to 1.00ppm. So I then tested the RO water on its own before the salt was mixed, which showed zero.

I have done this a couple of times now and once the salt is mixed there is ammonia showing on the test. I thought maybe it's the test kit, but to eliminate that instead of my API kit, I got a red sea test kit which also shows ammonia in the water.

The red sea salt bucket clearly says No ammonia/No nitrate etc. So I'm now confused on this entire ordeal and I am wondering if any of you out there have experienced anything like this.

Thanks and any replies are much appreciated.

How long are you letting the water sit? Do you have enough circulation?

I know that if you let saltwater sit too long that it will show nitrates so there must be some ammonia at one point or another.

If all else fails- go buy another small package from another store and mix it and test. You may have just gotten a bad batch. If that's the case- I would contact the company.

That's what I was thinking of doing next. I have two power heads circulating the water for about an hour before I do the change, do I'm not leaving it hours and hours and or till the next day. I think I will get a small bucket of salt from a different shop and see and then contact red sea them selves!!

Thank you for your reply by the way

Back
Top Bottom