Will PRIME offset nitrifying bacteria being used to eliminate Nitrites / Ammonia ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rx330

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been up for several weeks, and is still in the process of cycling as fish have been added prematurely. My water levels were fine, except the ammonia which has been at .25 for a while.

Recently my Nitrites increased to .25, so a friend of mine told me to add Nitrifying Bacteria, which would take care of the Nitrites. On a 54g tank, I did a 10g or 20% water change last night, then added 1 TSP as instructed of Bacter Vital. This was the 2nd time in 2 days that Bacter Vital was added.

This morning my water levels remain at .25 for both Nitrites and Ammonia, when Bacter Vital claims that 3 tsps for 3 days will cycle a tank.

Is it smart to add PRIME along with the recommended dosage of Bacter Vital, or will they work against each other. Should I increase dosage of either product or neither ?Are they safe together.

Please help, I am a newbie and this is becoming frustrating and I am trying to maintain patience/respect for the hobby that I love.

I have no experience with Bacter Vital, but I don't think the two (Prime and the snake oil... err... I mean Bacter Vital) will work against each other. Prime just binds up the ammonia and nitrite into non-toxic forms, but those forms are still usable by nitrifying bacteria.

Sounds like the tank is just going through a normal cycle that has to happen... with or without any additives.

why are your trying to cycle your tank that quick for,I know as soon as you get a tank you want to fill it but you must take your time,otherwise it will cost you a fortune in dead fish.Let the tank cycle at its own pace ,you have a 55g tank which normally will cycle within 2-8 weeks,whats in your tank? any LS,LR cured or not,i see you have a wet/dry filter,personally i wouldn't use one of these as long as you have plenty of LR that is filtration enough with a good skimmer.use a raw fresh shrimp to start the cycle off,within 3 days this should rot away,start testing for ammonnia, this will rise and then fall,test for nitrite ,this will also rise and then fall,test for nitrate again this will rise and fall slightly,at this point I would add your cuc and do 2-3 pwc until your nitrate is just about zero then you can add 1 fish per month,again do not rush this part.keep testing and pwc weekly.

Prime is good, you use that when you do water changes. It helps dechlor the water as well. (chlorine will kill off your beneficial bacteria so you need to use a dechlor everytime you do a water change prime is a great one to use) Don't trust any bacteria crap IMO. It has a very low success rate (we're talking like super low)

A tank can take anywhere from a 3-6 weeks to properly cycle, sometimes more, sometimes less. Depending on how you do it. If you can get established filter media from a tank that is up and running it will help speed it up. Since you have fish already, it will probably take longer. You need to make sure you do water changes EVERY day to keep the levels low. Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic to fish at very low levels. It is very painful for them to be in those things. Nitrate is also toxic, but at much higher levels. IDeal water params for a tank are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates somewhere between 5 and 10... depending on the tank. Here is an article that should help you. Also, this site has great info! Just look around and you will find everything you need to know :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Also if there are fish in there already, you do NOT want to add more ammonia. this will kill them

Back
Top Bottom