WOO HOO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The wait is finally coming to a close. After a almost 6 week cycle, my ammonia finally started falling yesterday! I am so excited. I thought it would never end. :D :D :D :D :D :D :!:

6 weeks yeesh . Don't know if I can wait that long. It has been a week now for me and I am getting a bit impatient. What is your setup?

Just be patient. I thought I was gonna rip my hair out waiting, but it was the biggest relief to see that ammonia fall.

Anyway, I have a 55 gallon that will be FOWLR. Right now I have about 25 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of base rock, 40 lbs live sand. I am running a skilter 400 for a power filter, but I will probobly buy a new skimmer soon. I have two power heads running also.

And oh yeah, I used the black aragonite ls..................sweeeeet! I love it.

Is base rock similar to CC?? I have heard that it is not advisable to use both CC and LS b/c it will lead to ammonia problems. Would he have the same issues in this situation??? IME ,you are gonna need more LR. I think 55 lbs would be the minimum ammount of rock you would need.

I don't think u understand what I am talking about. I mean base rock as in actual chunks of rock. Check this link.

http://www.reeferrocks.com/baserock/index.htm

Eventually the base rock will take on the features of live rock. It is just white rock. Dead coral if I understand right. It gives me a nice aquascape. But I am also using an additinal power filter, so I should not have any filtration problems due to lack of live rock.

The hardest part of this hobby is the cycling, but sometimes if you are lucky with your live rock sometimes you'll get some cool things to watch while it's cycling, I know when we first started we had one little feather duster, it was fun to just watch it close when it got scared and open up real slowly later. With the black sand it's pretty cool because when the copepods start to appear you can literally see them crawling all over the black sand, we have thousands of them all over the sand and the rock and even on the back of our 40. Can't wait to get the goby in there it's going to have a feast! Believe me the waiting is the hard part, but the most enjoyable part of this hobby to me is always finding something new growing on the live rock! Have fun! :D

Back
Top Bottom