Aloha from Hawaii!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkpearl8130

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I live in a town on the Big Island of Hawaii a few miles out of Hilo. I'm very happy to be here and to be a part of this forum with all of you. :) My husband and I have always loved keeping aquariums. He has more experience than I do in this area. He decided last week to set up our old 29G for me and put some fish & plants the next day. But I'd like to take my usual experience with aquariums to the next level with a planted tank. I think it'd be fun to maybe incorporate the look or feel or life of Hawaii's rivers and/or streams, but we'll see :) Not sure if that's possible. Anyone with any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks for taking time to say hello.
Aloha, Krystal

Hi Krystal and welcome to Aquarium Advice! You probably have a lot of fish/pet shops in your area. I would imagine that the fish hobby is pretty strong in Hawaii! A lot of members have created natural biotopes of their area and I'm sure it's possible to create one with Hawaii's rivers and streams in mind. :)

Welcome to AA!

I'll have to dig around but I read an article about exactly what you are talking about. Glad you have joined us!!

Welcome to AA! I've visited Haiwaii a few times, I envy you the fish and corals you see in their natural habitat.

Hi Krystal and welcome to Aquarium Advice! You probably have a lot of fish/pet shops in your area. I would imagine that the fish hobby is pretty strong in Hawaii! A lot of members have created natural biotopes of their area and I'm sure it's possible to create one with Hawaii's rivers and streams in mind. :)
Surprising to myself and people I know who enjoy this hobby, there are hardly any fish/pet shops in the area! There is only one local pet shop and there is a fish hobbyist several miles away who operates out of his home. We used to go to him all the time, but because he is getting older, he brings in much less supply now days. The other side of the island (Kailua-Kona area) has much more pet stores (a PetSmart just opened and I'm dying to go!) and many more LFS. It just takes up the entire day to head out there, shop, then come home with live fish :). The drive is about 2 hrs each way and some areas the road is pretty winding. My husband and I are hoping to make a trip soon; hope my 14 month old cooperates! ;)

Back
Top Bottom