Back to this hobby and it's definitely changed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey do yo have any lfs near you? They will probably sell the blood worms too.

I just know that the fish go nuts when i drop the cut up pieces of the cube in the tank... definitely cool to sit and watch:popcorn:

There is a place I want to check oit near my place, it's a small independent store, I've been out of town since Thurs so, I might be checking the store this week.

I turned up the temperature when I got back the other day, now it's running about 78°.

I did a water change that Sunday night and also this morning. I did the API test then and just now as well. Currently running a 7.4 PH level. Ammonia is still high but I think it has fallen since sunday from the chart's dark green 8.0 to a lighter green color of about 4.0. Nitrite has changed to 0.25ppm from 0 and Nitrate is at 5 to 10ppm from 0 as well. I think the extra warmth did help it out a little bit. I will do another test tomorrow to see if these levels stay consistent. :dance:

I turned up the temperature when I got back the other day, now it's running about 78°.

I did a water change that Sunday night and also this morning. I did the API test then and just now as well. Currently running a 7.4 PH level. Ammonia is still high but I think it has fallen since sunday from the chart's dark green 8.0 to a lighter green color of about 4.0. Nitrite has changed to 0.25ppm from 0 and Nitrate is at 5 to 10ppm from 0 as we:ermm:ll. I think the extra warmth did help it out a little bit. I will do another test tomorrow to see if these levels stay consistent. :dance:

Hey Sorry I havent posted in a while. I got swamped at work :(

How often are you feeding your fish...and how much?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if that may be contributing to your ammonia levels being high for so long. :ermm:

Hey Sorry I havent posted in a while. I got swamped at work :(

How often are you feeding your fish...and how much?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if that may be contributing to your ammonia levels being high for so long. :ermm:

I understand, no worries. We feed about a pinch of food morning and night. I change the water every other day and the ammonia is really low after a water change.

I understand, no worries. We feed about a pinch of food morning and night. I change the water every other day and the ammonia is really low after a water change.

One of the things i was told when my ammonia levels was high was that i am likely feeding my fish too much.

I have been feeding both tanks every other day just once.

It has helped keep the levels down.

Just a thought...although i love to watch them when they eat:popcorn:

One of the things i was told when my ammonia levels was high was that i am likely feeding my fish too much.

I have been feeding both tanks every other day just once.

It has helped keep the levels down.

Just a thought...although i love to watch them when they eat:popcorn:

I was thinking about that and my girlfriend loves to watch them eat too and they start pecking at the heater and pump intake and the plants for food when it's relatively time to feed them lol, they know when. Just now tested the water, did the wc at 500 so about 5 hours passed. Ammonia is at 4ppm, Nitrite at 1ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm. Finally some good numbers, although high in some areas....

I was thinking about that and my girlfriend loves to watch them eat too and they start pecking at the heater and pump intake and the plants for food when it's relatively time to feed them lol, they know when. Just now tested the water, did the wc at 500 so about 5 hours passed. Ammonia is at 4ppm, Nitrite at 1ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm. Finally some good numbers, although high in some areas....

Definitely something to think about.

My ammonia levels have been much better since i reduced the feedings to once a day every other day.:flowers:

I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I did fish-in cycle with guppies also. Basically I didn't want to stare at an empty tank for two months so I chose this route. I was a SLAVE to water changes though. The highest my ammonia ever read was .5. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a level of 4 ammonia could have some negative effects on your fish. I think it usually shows up a few weeks down the road. Anyhow. I'd probably up the water changes to two 50% a day. Or more if necessary. I also just fed them the tiniest pinch of food once a day when cycling. They didn't suffer for it. The cycling took a full 6 weeks.
Good luck! I sure do enjoy watching the guppies. They're both pretty and entertaining. =)

I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I did fish-in cycle with guppies also. Basically I didn't want to stare at an empty tank for two months so I chose this route. I was a SLAVE to water changes though. The highest my ammonia ever read was .5. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a level of 4 ammonia could have some negative effects on your fish. I think it usually shows up a few weeks down the road. Anyhow. I'd probably up the water changes to two 50% a day. Or more if necessary. I also just fed them the tiniest pinch of food once a day when cycling. They didn't suffer for it. The cycling took a full 6 weeks.
Good luck! I sure do enjoy watching the guppies. They're both pretty and entertaining. =)

Thank you, with Nitrate and Nitrite up, the end of the cycle is getting close so it's a matter of patience and water changes. I am going to just the flakes every morning and see how that goes.

Thank you, with Nitrate and Nitrite up, the end of the cycle is getting close so it's a matter of patience and water changes. I am going to just the flakes every morning and see how that goes.

Careful with your water changes though.

Every day is too much stress for the fish.

Every other day is better as it gives them a day off from the stress!

Good luck and keep us posted:popcorn:

Careful with your water changes though.

Every day is too much stress for the fish.

Every other day is better as it gives them a day off from the stress!

Good luck and keep us posted:popcorn:

Right, which is why I stick to every other day water changes. I will do, same as your tank.

Right, which is why I stick to every other day water changes. I will do, same as your tank.

Hey i forget if i have mentioned this two you before but have you tried adding ammonia remover to your filter? A company named Aquapure makes these inserts for you to add to your filter. It helps to absorb the extra ammonia in your freshwater tank.

I have found that it works better for me to add it to the filter casing along with the carbon when i am changing filter cartridges each month. I just make sure to have equal parts carbon and ammonia absorber.

Dont remember if i told you about it...?:ermm:
:facepalm:

Hey i forget if i have mentioned this two you before but have you tried adding ammonia remover to your filter? A company named Aquapure makes these inserts for you to add to your filter. It helps to absorb the extra ammonia in your freshwater tank.

I have found that it works better for me to add it to the filter casing along with the carbon when i am changing filter cartridges each month. I just make sure to have equal parts carbon and ammonia absorber.

Dont remember if i told you about it...?:ermm:
:facepalm:

Haha um nope. I'll have to look into that, i just have ammonia tabs...

Haha um nope. I'll have to look into that, i just have ammonia tabs...

Well then it is definitely something to give a try! It has helped to reduce my ammonia levels significantly:cool:

Oh by the way i got some more fish since the clowns... a purple firefish... a red/yellow firefish... a watchman goby.... and a six lined wrasse.

Not all at once mind you but everyone is doing well.:ROFLMAO:

Must say my watchman goby is one of my favorites!

He looks like a tough guy! Lol:brows:

Well then it is definitely something to give a try! It has helped to reduce my ammonia levels significantly:cool:

Oh by the way i got some more fish since the clowns... a purple firefish... a red/yellow firefish... a watchman goby.... and a six lined wrasse.

Not all at once mind you but everyone is doing well.:ROFLMAO:

Must say my watchman goby is one of my favorites!

He looks like a tough guy! Lol:brows:
Did you mean AquaClear? and exactly how is that in your HOB filter? Does there have to be a certain order of filterization or do you just basically throw it all in that little tiny box...

A firefish? hmmm That sounds kinda cool looking... Haha well for now until they have to settle their differences... I'll have to find the Goby and Firefish and learn about them.

Did you mean AquaClear? and exactly how is that in your HOB filter? Does there have to be a certain order of filterization or do you just basically throw it all in that little tiny box...

A firefish? hmmm That sounds kinda cool looking... Haha well for now until they have to settle their differences... I'll have to find the Goby and Firefish and learn about them.

Yes... its called aqua clear. However I didnt follow the directions on the box thst tell you to put the whole packet in because it didnt fit very well into my filter or the cartridge!

I have a whisper HOB filter that you need to make the replacement cartridges for by adding in carbon sliding it up the frame etc. So what i do is cut open the net pouch and add it to the cartridge bag with the carbon so that i have equal parts carbon and the white rock crystals from the net pouch. Usually the cartridge bag is pretty full so be careful wheb sliding the frame on. Run the finished product under running water and insert into your filter... you are good to go!:cool:

Yes... its called aqua clear. However I didnt follow the directions on the box thst tell you to put the whole packet in because it didnt fit very well into my filter or the cartridge!

I have a whisper HOB filter that you need to make the replacement cartridges for by adding in carbon sliding it up the frame etc. So what i do is cut open the net pouch and add it to the cartridge bag with the carbon so that i have equal parts carbon and the white rock crystals from the net pouch. Usually the cartridge bag is pretty full so be careful wheb sliding the frame on. Run the finished product under running water and insert into your filter... you are good to go!:cool:

Ah I see okay, I could remove the black foam pad then and insert that ammonia remover in that spot before the carbon filter.:popcorn:

Ah I see okay, I could remove the black foam pad then and insert that ammonia remover in that spot before the carbon filter.:popcorn:

Or you can add the crystals into the filter itself with the carbon.

But i guess it depends heavily on what type of filter you have and how the cartridge is designed.

I will be honest and say i am not sure what you are referring to when you say foam pad!:confused:

I get the filter that is pre made, i guess i could get the stuff to make my own filter... My starter kit came with a black foam/sponge looking pad, someone in this thread before said it was probably there to catch big particles.... I'm debating about taking it out..

Back
Top Bottom