Clueless in SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RBolling

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Just trying to decipher the quagmire of info pertaining to starting a small 40 gallon cichlid aquarium. So much to,learn! Trying to figure out the lighting for a wood canopy.

:welcome: to AA! :)

I don't think you can do any African cichlids in that size of a tank except for kribs, jewels, African butterfly cichlids, or a colony of shellies. I believe mbuna, haps, peacock etc. get too big for that size tank.

Or if you were looking into South American cichlids thats an option too. Depends on what you want to do though.

Also, read this! :)
1. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Thank you for the specific inf on fish types. I look forward to fish selection. -At the moment, I am caught between glass and acrylic. Decisions, decisions....Thanks again for your interest!

PS: Like your quote...I must be a huge doer.

I personally like glass better because it lasts longer and its not going to scratch like acrylic. I got my 40 gallon at Petco's dollar per gallon sale, has been very good.

Thanks, one of my many favorite quotes :)

Welcome to AA. Usually IMO Cichlids + Plants = destruction of plants

You got that right! Whenever I had cichlids the tanks were pretty sparsely decorated and plants were always plastic. I miss having cichlids. Through the years I've had an Oscar, a pair of Convicts and a pair of Jewels. My favorite were the Jewels. The male was fun to watch protecting their eggs. I think I may have Jewels again some day.

:welcome: to AA! :)

I don't think you can do any African cichlids in that size of a tank except for kribs, jewels, African butterfly cichlids, or a colony of shellies. I believe mbuna, haps, peacock etc. get too big for that size tank.

Or if you were looking into South American cichlids thats an option too. Depends on what you want to do though.

Also, read this! :)
1. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Hi! And welcome to AA. You came to the right place, if you want good advice for setting up a tank. And DO click on that link from Bruinsbro. It is the best place to begin your research. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom