Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Chinese Algae Eater/CAE or Siamese Algae Eater/SAE (also get too big for a 10G)? Big difference from what I have seen in behaviour.

Personally the CAE are nasty creatures, no good for a small tank for sure but even in a big tank I wouldn't want one, they suck on the other fish and cause severe injury and can cause death. Too big for a 10G, and I don't know if you would want them with your Cichlids in your 55G but for sure not good for a peaceful community!

You can also clean the tank with a no scratch aquarium scrubber, and baking soda and white vinegar. Remember if you trap dirt or sand particles in your scrubbie, you can scratch the glass, so rinse frequently and well while removing dirt. A Razor blade with a safety edge is great after letting it soak for a few minutes, just keep a nice 45 degree angle. Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more, especially under the top edges!

Please read all about the fish in cycling articles on AA here in the articles section too!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks I will do a 50% and check it after an hour.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you acclimate the fish. Did you use a water conditioner to remove the chlorine?

And as to clean a tank. I use vinegar and make sure you rinse really good DON'T USE SOAP

Sorry only seen page 2

I agree with scrubber and razor blade if its glass. If its acrylic you will scratch it up. I usually fill tank with vinegar and water and let sit a day then clean really good with green scrubby pad then rinse good. Then fill up and let sit a while new scrubby rinse and do that a few tinges

Petsmart sells a aquarium glass cleaner that is safe to use inside and outside. I use it to clean outside of mine.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I got some of that works good
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have not used it inside a tank yet but it says it is safe.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did a 50% water change and now all the fish are on the top upright but the algae eater is going nuts he tries to swim up but then falls back to the bottom and his gills are going 90 to nothen...???
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using a chlorine remover? And are you making sure new water is the same temp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonxj View Post
I did a 50% water change and now all the fish are on the top upright but the algae eater is going nuts he tries to swim up but then falls back to the bottom and his gills are going 90 to nothen...???
The fish were not upright before ???
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been using quick start. And yes they where upright before. I have lost a few fish the last couple of days due to the lfs person shook the bag and stressed the fish...now he no longer does the fish anymore. I think the temp was a little different didn't relies that would cause that.. hope it don't die.....
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok it sounded like they were upside down or something lol. fits the quick stay say it removes chlorine? I never have used that. And yes the temp maters a lot

That's one reason you acclimate the fish do they get used to the temp. Especially if you did a 50% change the water needs to be almost exact. Too hot or cold and it can kill the fish

I had to do
50% changes on my 20 and I was getting the water almost perfect and it still was too much and killed one. 1 out of 12
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I lost 2 for sure and the algae eater went south don't even see it maybe hiding or something

Tags
tan, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com