fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like it to me too.
The thing with all fish is that you must adapt your habits to the fish's needs. You can create more stability with more water volume. That doesn't mean that a smaller water volume can't be stable. It's just done differently.
As I said before, the fish will tell you when something is wrong. You just have to listen ;)
Best of luck...

Thanks :) I know when he was in the 1 gal i was doing daily water changes and i also dont have a test kit to know exactly whats goin on with the ammonia nitrite and nitrate so to be on the safe side ive done more frequent water changes and ive always watched his behavior for signs of changes or sickness and the first thing ive done is change his water and look at him closely. its all a learning experience for me and im learning as i go and taking in all the info on here from different pages not just this one...

Water facts

Thanks :) I know when he was in the 1 gal i was doing daily water changes and i also dont have a test kit to know exactly whats goin on with the ammonia nitrite and nitrate so to be on the safe side ive done more frequent water changes and ive always watched his behavior for signs of changes or sickness and the first thing ive done is change his water and look at him closely. its all a learning experience for me and im learning as i go and taking in all the info on here from different pages not just this one...

Truth be told, if you're getting an ammonia reading in a 1 gal bowl in only 1 day, you're either feeding too much or have too many fish in it. Ammonia takes a few days to build up to readable levels in most test kits. Changing water daily has it's problems too. If you create too sterile an environment, your fish will become more susceptible to diseases. You need to create a STABLE environment as well as a clean one. Think of yourself without any innoculations as a child. You could live in the cleanest house in the world yet would succumb to any disease you come in contact with. If you have other fish/ snails in other tanks, equipment hygene is a serious issue.
Take a 1 day old water sample to your local pet store and get it tested for ammonia. You'll see what I mean.

Best of luck...

:fish2::dance:Heres Dancers new 5 gal setup... added the water conditioner and waiting for the water to heat up for him before putting him in...

Attachments

• 100_0703.jpg
    100_0703.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_0704.jpg
    100_0704.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_0705.jpg
    100_0705.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 73
thanks boogety :) so far he likes his tank the blue gravel i picked out bc his body and the tips of his fins have a bluish color to them but hes mostly red so it brings out his colors. amazing how much more space just a 5 gal gives him... and the one i got was only $25 and it came with a filter and the lighted hood i can see his colors much better with this tank as well... :)

thanks boogety :) so far he likes his tank the blue gravel i picked out bc his body and the tips of his fins have a bluish color to them but hes mostly red so it brings out his colors. amazing how much more space just a 5 gal gives him... and the one i got was only $25 and it came with a filter and the lighted hood i can see his colors much better with this tank as well... :)

That's a good deal. I got a 20 gal from my brother. It was in his attic when he moved to a new house. The people before him left it there. I just don't have the money to get it up and going yet. It doesn't have any parts or a hood, just the tank and a stand, but it was free so I can't complain. :D

freebies are always good... i have to save through the month to make it and usually after bills i only have a few dollars left... lol im glad i live close to family... :)

I feed him a few times a day as long as he'll eat what I put in there. I'll try the salt. I'm just afraid of using to much. I'm going to leave him out of the 10 gal from now on. Thank you for helping me out with all this. I'll look at see if I can find the FURAN-2 or the Jungle Fungus Clear. My Walmart doesn't sell a lot of fish stuff but I'll check there and PetSmart.

Salt

I feed him a few times a day as long as he'll eat what I put in there. I'll try the salt. I'm just afraid of using to much. I'm going to leave him out of the 10 gal from now on. Thank you for helping me out with all this. I'll look at see if I can find the FURAN-2 or the Jungle Fungus Clear. My Walmart doesn't sell a lot of fish stuff but I'll check there and PetSmart.

The best preventative/ maintenance salt recipe is 1/2 teaspoon per 1 gal of water. Been that way for over 40 years that I've used it :) We use higher doses for certain other problems.
Best of luck

Boogety, no worries :) this is a betta thread :) our walmart carries most of the Jungle brand tabs like fungus clear and several others but i know each store and each state is different... i just hope ur lil guy gets better...

Thanks Mumma So far hes luvin the space just checkin it out and im tryin to get his temp up to 80... hes showing off his fins to the max now hehe i had the light on for awhile but the water itself got really warm but the temp stayed at 76 i turned the light off and the water cooled down just cant seem to get the temp up to 80 but the heater i have is for up to 5.5 gal

i think i had turned his heater up too high and made his water too warm to the touch... i turned his heater down for a bit to see if that helped also and left it alone for a couple hrs and the light has been on and his water is still cool to the touch... but the thermometer says its 75

It depends how hot or cold the room and your hands are. At times it will feel warm others cold. I'd pick a temperature and stick to it. Temp fluctuations can be stressful if too large. The heater (if it has a thermostat) will turn off when it reaches temperature.

the thermometer isnt a digital one so its hard to tell... but i think its at 80 now... just trying to get it to stay there and not drop too much... his heater is an elite 15 watt with a thermostat and it does kick on and off... also had a question about fish food.... on the tropical fish food when it says for all tropical fish on the flakes for instance does that include bettas??

Flake food

the thermometer isnt a digital one so its hard to tell... but i think its at 80 now... just trying to get it to stay there and not drop too much... his heater is an elite 15 watt with a thermostat and it does kick on and off... also had a question about fish food.... on the tropical fish food when it says for all tropical fish on the flakes for instance does that include bettas??

I have some that eat flakes and some that don't (all from the same spawn.) If you can get them to eat a variety of food, it's better but not mandatory. If you don't have good filtering, stay with pelleted/ freeze dried foods so you can see what they eat and what they don't eat.

i have bloodworms and pellets that dancer eats... i was just wanting to try to add the flakes into the mix if he will eat them... the tank i have now it has a pretty good filter on it more powerful than the other one but not too much current for him.... the current stays pretty close to the filter...

Back
Top Bottom