finally got time to introduce myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pton46

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm new to AA but not new to the hobby. I had multiple tanks in my college and post college years and now after 15 years just get back into it.

I started with a 3 gal tank for small Community 3 Tetras, a puffer and then screwed up :banghead: and got a Albino Tiger Barb which Tore through them all in the course of 2 days then it stressed and Died. I had only kept Cichlids before and had no idea Barbs when not kept in a shoal get nasty.
My Plan was to get this going and use the bacteria to seed the Thirty gallon. I was able to use it though to speed the Cycle on the Thirty. All Level are nice and where they should be, (after 30 days) put the fish in last night. Fish appear healthy, although I did get a Nitrate spike about 6 hours later from almost 0 to 40 in 6 hours.
30% water change brought last night it back down to 10 this morning.
I will check again this evening....

Before anyone states a 30 is too small yet I know that but this is
my 30 gal Starter Oscar Tank. (They are 2inches and 1 1/2 now) and in 6 months after I finishing off my Basement looking at a 125 gal for them.

I have been trolling on here for a Couple of weeks now an finally got around to introduce myself.

Go Giants!

Welcome Pton! I'd be careful, my buddy has had his oscar for about 5 months, was only an inch when he got it, now its like a football swimming around the tank! Rascals grow fast! They'll be in heaven once they hit that 125! Sounds like an awesome project, good luck!

Welcome Pton! I'd be careful, my buddy has had his oscar for about 5 months, was only an inch when he got it, now its like a football swimming around the tank! Rascals grow fast! They'll be in heaven once they hit that 125! Sounds like an awesome project, good luck!

Thanks Steve,

Yeah I had Oscars about 15 yrs ago, after I got out of College. I remember how fast they grow. Went from 10 to 30 then 55 gallon then out of Cash......I re homed then to a Friends 150 gal who wanted to reuse his 150 as a Freshwater Tank, After he upgraded his saltwater set up to a larger set up. I kept my Convict and Jack Dempsey until the passed on but then I sold all my stuff. (Got Married) wish I had 1/2 that set back. I have been Lucky I got this 30 gal and Stand for Free (Friend was moving) and just picked up another 30 gal today for Free on Craigslist. Although it is cool seeing the UPS truck pick up know its more Fish Stuff....got to love amazon....(y)

Back
Top Bottom