Fish died of ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debber

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a fish lover since I was a kid. My stepdad had several aquariums, one of them an 80 gal. He raised oscars, angels, various cichilids. I had my own aquariums in adulthood, biggest being 20 gal. I have raised oscars and angels as well, with success but I am now doubting my expertise or should I say lack thereof. I bought a fishtank a few years ago, it is beautiful, but it is hard because it is in the shape of a huge fishbowl. It is. 13 gal. I have just had five goldfish die from ich. My husband picked a "calm" one from the pet store and it died within four days. I saw the white spots on it and started treating the water with nox-ich. Another three days and the rest died. Now I don't know what to do. The tank is infiltered but I do a 25 percent water change once a week, vacumming the gravel. Should I leave the tank running or do a complete tear down. When should i introduce new fish? Any help would be great!

Hi Debber, welcome to the forum.

Your tank is severely undersized for goldfish. They require 20 gallons for the first one, and an additional 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. They are really messy fish. Even in a filtered tank, which they absolutely require, they would need a 50% water change weekly.

If you have no fish now, you can do a fishless cycle with a filter to establish your beneficial bacteria. At that point, you can get more fish, but to be honest, you'll be very limited because of the size and shape of this bowl.

Back
Top Bottom