Glofish (not Goldfish) advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I'm in the planning stages of my first aquarium. I am targeting a 30 gallon freshwater starter kit (Marineland) and glofish (tetras). I was wondering what experiences others have had with keeping them; hardiness, temperament, special needs, etc.

I'd like to get a dozen or so and according to AqAdvisor I have room to grow. Again, I'm still in the planning stages and I'm looking for other fish to stock the tank with the glofish. Perhaps someone can suggest other fish that might look attractive under those "blue" lights that show off glofish colors so well?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

-John

Some albino cories would look good in that tank.

There basically the same as regular skirt tetras.

Fishobsessed7

Well the actual glofish are zebra danios. And I'm pretty sure long exposure to blacklight isn't healthy for the fish. Just saying.

Thanks for the replies.

Albino Corys ... thanks!

Agree that black light as the sole light source is probably not good for them. Was planning on using the blue light in the evening for an hour or two before lights-out.

FYI - There are now 3 breeds marketed as Glofish: danios, tetras and barbs.

-John

Hey John and welcome! I have done the glo tetras (I ended up giving to the mother in law, she liked them more than me...). They are hardy (and u r right that they ARE tetras) but I know you need to have the tank water a little cycled if u want a big group. I would suggest adding them a little at a time. Just so the filter/algae has a chance to slowly keep up (unless u already have it up and cycled... In which case go crazy!). As far as other non-glo fish, I really like the way albinos look under the blue... They kinda glow differently. I had a pretty cool albino placo. That looked pretty cool and helped clean the sides. Good luck! -J

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Ace.

Albino Corys are what I'm leaning towards adding. I have looked some pics on line of albino fish under the blue light and I like it.

-John

Well hi John,

Won't suggest other fish to you for some members are already doing a great job with that... But for sure I'd like to welcome you overhere...

Thank you, king. Hope to be contributing to this forum some day.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom